Found a new primary doctor

Hi everyone.

At the behest of my gastroenterologist, I got a new primary care doctor--and had my first appointment today. As it turns out, she's got her MD...and then also got a Ph.D. in endocrine studies...so she was more knowledgeable about ANS problems than I expected.

As some of you know, I've had problems with gastroparesis. My gastro wanted me on the new drug, Zelnorm, to try to regulate things. However, my new doc wants me to try switching from Celexa to Lexapro before trying Zelnorm. After listening to her explanation, it makes sense, so we're starting low and seeing how it goes.

Additionally, I'll now be on something for osteoporosis... she gave me samples of the 2 different meds and we'll go with whatever makes me the least ill (we're both concerned that my sensitive guts are going to not like the stuff...but I need my bones to be strong... )

Are any of you taking Cozaar? It's a bp med, I think??--she gave me samples of that too.

While she wrote at scipts for tons of stuff, she basically said because of my allergies, she wants me trial everything with samples and THEN if I'm not allergic or having bad side effects, then fill them. Also, she wants me back in her office within the month to check on how I'm doing with the meds.

I didn't bring my records with me...well...because I've done this new doctor thing so many times that I've come to expect nothing... we'll see how appointment #2 goes in a few weeks before I spend the $$ to copy all my files AGAIN.

Thinking good thoughts that this will be my GP for a while to come :wub: nina

Hi Mighty Mouse

Congrats on finding a well informed doctor, so hard to find.

I just wanted to mention I was the one who Dr. Grubb had switched from Celexa to Lexapro. I gained 42 pounds very quickly. Just keep your eye on the scale, easier to put on then to take off.

Good luck

Sue

Sounds good Mighty Mouse, I hope everything works out for you. Just an idea, I have my own copies of most of my Docs reports, as well as many summeries from one time visits, like my trip to Mayo. I run off my own copies and can edit out multiples of info from more than one Doc(ie. scripts, dxs, reports filed with my Gp, etc.)

Blackwolf

Thanks for the heads up...and, Yes, I remember you mentioning that before, as did a few others. I did ask her about the weight gain. She basically said that we'll start very low...and that if I didn't gain lots with Celexa, it's not likely I'll gain lots with Lexapro as they are isomers of each other (very close chemically speaking). I gained a few lbs on Celexa, but mostly because I was not eating right. I also lost loads of weight when I did Weight Watchers, and I was on Celexa then. I'm just going to try to keep active and stick to eating well.

Also, she wants me in regularly so I wont be able to get too far off couse before I see her again. Thanks again, though, for the reminder. :wub:

Nina

Thanks Blackwolf--I have my own copies too, but I have to take them somewhere to be copied since my home copier/fax can't handle that large a project. I used to bring the file with me and allow the dr.'s office to copy the set, but I've lost a few pieces of my file that way.

Nina

Nina,

Congrats on finding a knowledgable doctor- it's soooo incredibly difficult to do! I am in the process myself, and trying to get approved for health insurance at the same time. I hope things work out for you and you can continue to have good luck with her treatment.