Remembering To Take Medication...

ajw4790

So... I am AWFUL at remembering and actually taking my meds. I either don't wake up on time, forget altogether, or go get something to drink to take it and get distracted by five other tasks and a hour and a half later realize I forgot to take my meds. This also tends to lead to me not remembering whether or not I took it a couple hours later.

As you can tell this could lead to issues and is not the best! :P It has been happening to consistantly, so I need to work on it.

What are your routines or ways to make sure you take meds and at the appropriate times?

My problem is sleep schedules are constantly different, and I may or may not be home at lunch to take my meds, so it is harder to remember.

So, any hints on what works? :D:P:lol:

I know what you mean, I find myself forgetting quite often...which is not good for my health at all!!

I really have not yet found anything that helps me to remember I just try really hard to remember the times I take them, and then take it that time everyday, so that I dont forget. When my sleep paterns are different that does mess things up somewhat.

I use a container for my meds that are labled for each day of the week, its like a giant one of those SMTWTFS things.... but there is one for each day, with 4 different times to take meds, which works well for me because I take meds 5 times a day, and the 5th is right before i go to sleep so i just keep it by my bedside. This way I will know if I have taken my meds yet or not, but that doesnt help me to remeber all too much.

Good luck!

Teri sets all my pills out for me--my breakfast pills are in a small glass set inside my cereal bowl, which she puts in front of my coffee pot. Night time meds are also in a small glass, all set on the counter by my water glass. Without help, I'd forget my pills many times. I keep an extra set in my work bag.

nina

I would be lost without my little voice recorders. They are small, I think I bought my at Walgreen's. I also saw them in the LTD catalog.

I leave one in kitchen by my pills. When I take it I record it.

Also the ones in bed, I turn the bottle upside down after I take it. Then when I wake up I know I have taken it already in the morning.

Dawn

I have a wonderful "external brain". It never gets fogged and never forgets...

My blackberry! I got it off of e-bay and put my sim card in it (I have AT&T service) and I se tthe "calendar". You can set recurring events. So... every day, I get med alarms!

It also functions as a grocery list, a to-do list, address book.. oh, yeah , and a PHONE!

if i don't take my meds on schedule i'm non-functional, or rather even less functional than normal. this isn't necessarily the case with every one of my meds, but it is with some that i have to take at least 4 times a day so most of my others are able to be grouped along with those.

my med timing usually varies a bit with when i wake up as well and this post is making me realize how lucky i am to, in the midst of everything else, somehow have a pretty darn good internal timer of some sort. when i take my first set of meds i know my next is due 4.5 hrs later (give or take about 15 minutes) and i remember that time and 99% of the time remember to follow through. the fact that i pay the price so highly (to the point of it being dangerous) if i forget is pretty high motivation i suppose, but all in all i think i'm just lucky that i remember that sort of thing pretty well. it didn't used to come quite as naturally but i after ten years i'm getting pretty well "programmed" i suppose. the one thing i have a tendency to forget at times is a nasal spray for my allergies, but honestly i don't think it does anything for me anyway!!

i do have my own version of having my most of my daily meds organized. liquids don't do well in pill boxes B) but i have all of my doses for the day pre-measured into syringes & keep each day in one big plastic zip-loc. currently i have IV antibiotics 4 times a day as well, including smack dab in the middle of the night. my internal timer does NOT work for that time & thus the alarm clock gets set.

sadly much of my time/ energy goes into dealing with my meds, IVs, tubes, wires, etc, but in the midst of that i am thankful that my internal timer seems to work better than the rest of my body b/c it'd be tough to find an alarm system with the number of settings i'd need as reminders (currently 10 every 24 hrs!) maybe i should start a reminder business wherein i could call people for their med times. lol.

good luck to all figuring out what works best for you,

B) melissa

Thanks for the great ideas! I need to review them, and try to implement some of them. Today I finally bought a couple of those medicine holder/sorter things that thought if I actually used it, it may help. If I remember it is there! :P

I kind wish I could wear a timer watch, it would be helpful, with classes it is hard, and I absolutely can not wear the hard rubber-type band watches which most of them are. Any kind of a stiff watch makes my wrist throb in pain! Sometimes I get fed up with my loose one and end up throwing it on the table in frustration. It shouldn't be such an issue or pain to wear a watch! :blink:

But, I need to figure something out, so I will work on it. Maybe I need a pocket watch! B)