G2 Now Available

maryfw

I picked up a couple of bottles of G2 from 7-Eleven today, so I can offer my opinion. I'd been looking forward to this product for two reasons. First, it was said to have half the carbs, which in Gatorade is all sugar. Second, it was supposed to have twice the sodium - a plus for those of us who can't seem to stay hydrated no matter what we do.

First the bad news: there isn't twice the sodium. This isn't a "light" version of Gatorade Endurance, as we were led to believe by the New York Times article that someone posted here a few months ago (it was the one about Tom Glavine and other professional athletes using Pedialyte as a less sugary alternative to Gatorade). In fact, the formulation is exactly the same save the lowered amount of carbs. The sodium and potassium content is unchanged, and it doesn't have magnesium and calcium like Endurance does.

On the other hand, the reduced sugar content is still a big deal to me. For one thing, it means half the amount of calories (25 per serving, or 70 per 20oz bottle). And as far as I'm concerned, the lighter taste is an improvement; I always found the original formula to be too sugary, especially since I drink at least two liters of the stuff everyday. I tried two flavors. Orange is pretty much what you'd expect; it's like the orange from the original line, but lighter. Grape, on the other hand, is my favorite Gatorade yet - light and refreshing, with a taste that reminds me of the diluted grape juice that I had for years in public school cafeterias (yes, I know some people will find that yucky, but I liked it). I'll be buying this stuff in bulk as soon as it's available in Costco.

thanks for the explanation. The website for this stuff was dizzying to me with all the moving graphics. Ugh.

I like the POWDERED orange flavor the BEST. Orange flavor (original plain) VARIES from bottle to bottle...i think they have too many flavors and do not rinse the lines well enough in between though deny this (I emailed Gatorade about this years ago)

I know many many years ago some posted on another site they drank Pedialyte. It's very expensive and a diluted version meant for babies..thus less carbs, etc per serving. Duh.

I wondered does this G2 have FAKE sweeteners in it? I find all those drinks to have an after taste (The flavored no calorie drinks with alleged electrolytes taste gross to my picky taste buds! :) )

If I see this G2 in the stores, will read the label. I know a small bottle of Pedialyte is like 6.oo here and is much more pricy than Gatorade. The powdered form needs to be stirred well but works for people who travel, too, I have been told.

Hi!

Yeah, I finally saw some the other day and got excited due to what I had heard about it. Then, looked at the nutrition facts to find it didn't seem very spectacular and it has artificial sweetners in it (I think Splenda-sucralose). So, that was the bummer for me, because no fake sugar for me! :) I really don't see it as being healthier or all that great for people working out etc. I don't know how long it will last. If it had more electrolytes maybe. But, I guess it would be useful for some populations.

There is a separate version of Gatorade with twice the sodium - Gatorade Endurance, I think. It isn't low sugar and I think it's mostly available in sporting goods stores. I'm totally trying to cut out sugar substitutes, so I don't think I'll be trying G2 anytime soon. It's too bad they can't come out with a decent tasting low sugar, high salt drink. I guess there's no way to make all that sodium taste good without the sugar!

well you can DILUTE Gatorade with water and make it half as fattening. Be like Pedialyte too that way. :)

Fake sugar does not agree with my insides at all.

Thanks for the heads up.

Of course, the problem with the diluting method is that you get half the sodium. But maybe you can dilute Gatorade AND add salt? ;)

I had to read the label to see that G2 had sucrose. I was surprised because it seemed about half as sweet as regular Gatorade to me.

There is a separate version of Gatorade with twice the sodium - Gatorade Endurance, I think. It isn't low sugar and I think it's mostly available in sporting goods stores. I'm totally trying to cut out sugar substitutes, so I don't think I'll be trying G2 anytime soon. It's too bad they can't come out with a decent tasting low sugar, high salt drink. I guess there's no way to make all that sodium taste good without the sugar!

Oh, there you go. You can get the Endurance powder and dilute it. Then you'd get half the sugar and the same amount of sodium as plain Gatorade.

Hi,

I don't have a bottle in front of me and I looked online, but really couldn't find anything, but from memory of when I looked at the bottle in store in the actual ingredients list it lists I believe sucralose or Splenda. I maybe wrong and it may have been one of the other artificial sweeteners.

You have to make sure that you are not just looking for the brand name Splenda or Nutri-sweet etc. because when their trademark or whatever contract on the product runs out then companies can add it to products under the generic name. Splenda has reached this point now, so Kroger now has their own "Splenda" and other products such as Propel are the same way.

The -ose ingredients will tend to be your sugars in the ingredient list. Fructose, sucrose, etc. are natural where sucrolose is man made. Google it and you can see it is also known as Splenda.

Hope that helps and that I wasn't too foggy when I looked at the ingredient list in store. :huh:

The ingredients are: Water, sucrose syrup, high fructose corn syrup, citric acid, sodium citrate, salt, natural & artificial flavors, monopotassium phospate, sucralose, acesulfame potassium, red 40, blue 1.

Is the sucralose and artificial sweetner? I really dont want to drink artificial sweetners so that is why I am being so specific. If so I never knew that and just does to show how careful we have to be.

thank you again for your help

mary

I've actually found that I do better at holding on to the fluids with a glass of water/splash of juice/ multiple shakings of juice than I do from gatorade or other sports drinks. I add just enough juice to flavor the water and then as much salt as I can stand without making it gross. I notice that I can drink two big glasses like that and not need to pee (sorry!), but if I drink the equivalent in gatorade or propel, I pee it out pretty quickly-- not sure why.

I've actually found that I do better at holding on to the fluids with a glass of water/splash of juice/ multiple shakings of juice than I do from gatorade or other sports drinks. I add just enough juice to flavor the water and then as much salt as I can stand without making it gross. I notice that I can drink two big glasses like that and not need to pee (sorry!), but if I drink the equivalent in gatorade or propel, I pee it out pretty quickly-- not sure why.

I would think you put more salt in your glass of water or juice than there is in Gatorade. I basically pee out water as if there's a hole in my body. I do slightly better with Propel, and much better with Gatorade. That makes sense since Propel has only a small amount of salt and Gatorade has three or four times that.

How does your drink taste? :)

I actually think it tastes better than gatorade-- definitely fewer artificial chemicals and colorings. I've done it with orange, apple, and pomegranate juice. My measuring is very approximate. It's less convenient than something premade, but probably cheaper. If you're at a restaurant, it's easier, as you just order juice and water. I probably have at most a fifth cup of juice to 12ozs water, and an eighth or so teaspoon salt. I've added a little splenda on occasion if I want it sweeter without all the calories of a full glass of juice. If you dilute apple juice just right, it looks like white wine! I got some funny looks from my inlaws when I was salting my drink, but you do what you gotta do!

Wow, I like some of those ideas! Thanks! I like new ideas! :( I have been experimenting with Electromix, which is very good by the way! I love the taste! I have to figure out how much etc. of salt to add to it b/c it doesn't have salt in the mix.

I also finally found a couple kinds of fruit flavored electrolyte water, along with the plain. It also needs salt added, but I find it another way of going then gatorade. I have been stocking up on little salt packets!

I have also seen Ultima, an electrolyte beverage that looks kinda of promising. I mixed up a batch, but didn't drink it in that 24 hrs or so you are supposed to. The one thing is it has like B vitamins etc. in it so it has that vitamin type smell. I will probably try another packet and try to drink it this time! :) i think that one has sodium. Not sure... So, that is an upside of that one.

Then, I also have been drinking vitamin water, electolyte water, and that new Snapple vitamin type water. Also, Sobe has LifeWater.

I am trying to find my niche! :P Without artificial sugar of course! :(:P

Hi!

For those who add salt to their own homemade drinks or salt to other drinks, what is the rule of thumb you use for the salt to water ratio? I tried it some and I can't stop totally overwhelming myself with too much salt! It really upsets my stomach! :P

Yeah, I am a mess! :lol:

Thanks!!!

~AJW

My stomach got eaten up 10 years ago when I tried Thermotabs for extra salt. hurt my intestines as well.

I ONLY use Gatorade because for me and many others (AND the reason it was invented) is the RATIO of carbs, potassium and sodium is what KEEPS this liquid inside us as oppose to constantly urinating it back out. I hated and detested Gatorade for years until I realize it made a HUGE difference.

However there are way too many flavors now and even the simple original ones taste like they are mixed with others flavors so I buy the Orange in powder form but you need to stir it a lot!

also if you add salt to recently mixed beverages, try making a small batch of water heated enough to help DISSOLVE the salt in the water. Then you can add it to things. The raw salt crystals hurt my stomach.

If I eat Campbell's chicken noodle soup, I am fine. The soup is heating and processed so the salt in it is not gritty like from a salt shaker. If I try to ADD the same amount of sodium with a salt shaker to drinks, my stomach gets annoyed. So heating the saltwater solution helps and adding a dash of this salty mix to drinks...I even dilute regular gatorade and add extra salt this way.