Compression Hose

Hi everyone. ;)

I just bought a pair of compression socks today. I was just woundering how they axually work? A few months ago my doctor said I should get some specially made. I got a pair at walmart instead. They were much cheaper. Will they pretty much work the same way?

Hi everyone. ;)

I just bought a pair of compression socks today. I was just woundering how they axually work? A few months ago my doctor said I should get some specially made. I got a pair at walmart instead. They were much cheaper. Will they pretty much work the same way?

Hi, Heather. :)

How much did they cost at Walmart? I've been looking at this store (linked on the main DINET site), which groups socks according to the amount of pressure they apply to your legs - 15-20, 20-30, and 30-40mmHg. I'm pretty sure I'll find the socks helpful, because I've noticed that my leg muscles feel rubbery when I'm symptomatic and tense when I'm not. And at least as I understand it, the purpose of the socks is to increase tension.

I'm not sure what kind I should buy. I imagine socks in the 30-40mmHg range are pretty discomfortable, but I fear more comfortable socks may not be effective.

Right now they aren't helping me too much, but yes, you should get an rx for your first pair, to get properly sized. Once you know your size, you can then order more from brightlife or ames walker. i wear a "medium" 30-40. when i'm doing better, i can get away with knee-highs. now i need the waist-high. (It's funny, because I'm not a medium in other stuff-- I wear a women's large or extra-large. but these stockings are not sized the same). i like open-toe, as my toes get really sweaty, and then i end up with some foot fungus (sorry!). I then put cotton socks on top so my feet don't freeze. the biggest annoyance is getting them on and off. once they're on, i forget about them. i only wish the stockins would help me as much as they used to and that they were more aesthetically pleasing.

Compression hose work by squeezing your legs to prevent pooling and increase/maintain BP. I didn't even know that Walmart carried the hose. What really matters is the brand - I wouldn't be so sure about a generic brand from Walmart but if you got a brand like Jobst it should be fine. Many of us here shop online at Brightlife Direct or Ames Walker. (You don't need a prescription to get compression hose from these places - you may want to consult with your dr anyway to determine the strength of the compression, brand, etc. ) I've gotten pairs from Brightlife - they have a tape measure that you can print out and measure yourself and so I haven't had much problem with fitting. There is one brand (Juzo) which doesn't fit me at all, but other than that I've done great. I've also gotten measured through a local medical supply place and they told me that most people don't need the custom made ones. My insurance reimburses me 80% either way, but even when I pay 20% the online places are much cheaper. Good luck.

Bright Life (Allegro, their much cheaper house brand) fit me well and they give you 30 days to try them and will take them back without question if they don't fit, don't work, you hate them, or anything else. They are also having a one-third off sale on 3 different products each day, till Christmas.

They are very nice too. I just ordered a new line of cotton knee socks using their sizing chart, and they were too small. Not only are they sending me a larger pair, but said to keep the old pair--less work for everyone! So once your doctor guides you on the compression level you need, they will help you fit them over the phone or online through size charts.

If the ones from WalMart don't list the level of compression, it probably isn't enough to help you much.

Hey, The brand Is medipeds and the compression level says Moderate. They were just ten bucks. I went by the chart on the back but that wasn't right at all. It said if u were 5'7 and were between 150-190 pounds u took a med size... lol but they were way to small so I went to a large and they fit alot better. I think I'll try the specially made ones. I'm sure they do work better.I 'll look into the brands that everyone listed!

Guest tearose

Socks did not work for me. I found the compression pantyhose were a big help.

Do speak with a professional fitter and then buy wherever you find the best price.

The only benefit to going through the same surgical pharmacy is that once every once in awhile they give me a free pair and if a newer pair got a run, they replace it right away.

A few years ago, I went to Kmart and Walmart and couldn't find a pair that 1. was comfortable, or 2. seemed to help. I was a good patient and tried a few pairs for a couple of weeks.

When I started having problems recently, I thought I'd give it a try again. This time I went to a medical supply store to check out the compression hose. My doctor recommended that I start with the least compression and work from there. The lady at the medical supply store was awesome. She helped me try on different brands. We tried on different styles and different compressions.

I really like the 8-15 compression. They are just slighly tighter than regular hose. I also got some 15-30 compression. These are nice until mid afternoon. I'm going to try some glue and see if that helps. I fully suggest going to a medical supply store.

If you're near Kansas, this lady that helped me was awesome. I believe that all customer service reps should be as nice as she is. But that's a different vent for a different day.

Supposedly if the little plastic stuff at the top (I have thigh high) that normally keeps the hose up doesn't do real well, or if the hose keeps falling, then the glue will hold them in place. It's suppose to be the kind that washes away with water.

I am really liking the thigh highs as I don't have to tend to them when using the restroom.