How Long Can We Keep Blood Work Paper

Sophia3

I hate to sound stupid and do NOT want to bother my doc in email.

I saw him in early Oct and we did not order blood work..a week after I got home,, I decided my INSOMNIA and fatigue was OUT OF HAND and wanted some blood work.

It is dated Oct. 25 but I have YET to feel like driving myself 10 minutes in the Am to the hosptial for the blood work. We want to catch me at my worst which makes DRIVING myself there tough. I was going to have my room mate take me one morning when he had a meeting out of town...then on his day off, I felt 'less crummy.'

Anyway, had I THOUGHT of this at my doc's office they draw their own blood.

Can I have a blood work order thats a month old and still get it done? Or does the order expire. YOu think I would know this after 17 years of this stuff but what can I say.

If anybody can ANSWER this question, please respond.

I am simply looking for an answer about this. Any savvy pts here or phlebots or nurses that can answer, thanks in advance.

Soph

P.S. the docs office is almost an hour from here so driving there is OUT of the question.

You can call the lab and ask them how long it's good for, or just give the doctor a call and ask them.

It depends on how it's written. I have a prn (as needed lab) for electrolytes and it's good for a year. If the lab has a problem, they should not have a problem giving the office a call and getting it re ordered. If they tell the office you are there, it will get ordered right away. Good luck, hope you start feeling better...morgan

That's what they are there for, shouldn't have to feel guilty about calling them....

Thanks, Morgan...I won't get there before the office opens so they can call.

Sometimes taking the energy to call is such a pain...and I will already email him after the blood draw if I don't hear from him in a few days.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Back at ya.

:)