hyper activity

Radha

do any of you get so hyper at times that u just cant sit still, have to move some body part? i cant walk, but sometimes i get stop shaking my foot, or feel like jumping up and down, is this because of a raise in adrenaline? or maybe a thyroid problem?? any thing to relieve that? i hate it wheh i get like that, cant stop talking, just want to calm down!! thanks for all your replies, i'm so glad i joined this group!

I am very much this way- most people would say "energetic" but thats not quite it :) Most of the time I have to be doing something, it's hard to sit still at all except during the times when I'm just exhausted from all the activity I try to sustain. I wonder what it is that causes this?

Radha,

I know exactly what you are talking about. I do not know the reasoning. Some POTS patients who do not have their symptoms under control appear as very hyper,anxious individuals because of all the adrenalin. I can get that way at times. At other times, after I have been upright for too long, it is as though I have speed inside of me that I can not release even when I lie down and try to deep breath. I feel it in my chest like I have all of this energy, but I do not have the energy to physically express it. It is not "normal" energy and is scary at times. I myself wish I knew how to stop it when it happens as I am usually crashed from it afterwards. Too bad it doesn't allow me to run a marathon when I get this way :)

Patricia

Yes. Mine comes from my adrenaline running rampant, even if I have done nothing to trigger it. It just has a mind of its own. When it gets too annoying, I will take one 10mg dose of my beta-blocker, and within just a few minutes it's gone.

I also struggle with restless leg - it's a whole different feeling from the all-over "nervous movement," and it almost always shows up at bedtime. Sometimes (thankfully not very often) it will awaken me in the night. Still don't know what to do about that, but it's from having an out-of-balance body chemistry.

I'm the same way. I produce extra adreniline and I was told and we attribute the restless movements to an adreniline rush. I'm also ADHD and that could play into it to, because a lot of the extra movements in ADHD is from an adrelinine rush. I know I can't spell, sorry.

Hi Radha,

I see that you already have quite a few responses, but wanted to add my two cents...Like you, I also feel like I am going to jump out of my skin sometimes. It feels like too much adrenaline. Yes the leg shaking sometimes helps, sometimes it is not enough and I get up and pace a bit. Another thing that helps is I tighten all of my major muscle groups to take away some of the tension. It is absolutely impossible to concentrate or pay attention to anything during these episodes.

Just FYI, the beta blocker (Coreg) I was on made this symptom much worse. Are you on meds?

I do not have ADHD, but I have often thought, "This must be how it feels to have ADHD."

Ann

• 4 weeks later...