Probiotics And Other Digestive Aids

yogini

Does anyone know whether probiotics or other supplements could help with chronic gas and bloating? I have always thought about taking them, but don't really understand which ones I should buy. This is my problem with a lot of supplements. It's really hard to figure out which ones to buy and where to get them from.

I haven't taken any supplements, but I would recommend the new cheese with probiotic in it. I think Kraft makes it- it's little prepackaged things of cheddar, and they really taste pretty darn good. They helped me through a recent round of serious antibiotics with less GI issues than I would normally have had. Of course, there's yogurt with the same stuff in it. I don't happen to like yogurt all that much, but I understand that, if you do, it's pretty good too.

[Edit-But, um, that probably wouldn't work, since I realized you had also just posted about going dairy free. :) I'll be interested to know if anybody has any supplement ideas, since I don't know if I can eat the same cheese every day!]

I try to eat yogurt everyday and I also take lactobacillus supplements. I really think both have helped my digestion quite a bit (it's still nowhere near normal, but it's at least less uncomfortable). There are a ton of probiotics out there, but from what I've read you should shoot for a supplement that requires refrigeration and has 5-10 billion active cultures. I hope this helps you!

I just started eating the YOplus yogurt 2 weeks ago to see if it helps with my digestive issues as well! And I have to say that it does, my stomach is perfect but I am significantly less bloated, like I don't feel like my stomach is sticking out any more and my gas pains and less sharp!

So I would say go for it! I would like to learn more about probiotics and what helps, but it is iteresting you bring up celiac, b.c that is something I have been wondering about latily as well. My mom isn't so sure, she wants to read more about it b4 we ask the dr, but for sure probiotics yogurt has helped. At the moment I am seeing if to of the yogurt cups help even more, but I just started that two days ago

Madeline

Thanks everyone. It's good to know that probiotics have helped many of you. I have an appointment with my gastro on Tues afternoon to ask him about food sensitivities and probiotics. I'm holding off on the yogurt because dairy may be an issue for me and also b/c I'd like to see what my dr recommends.

Also, very interesting... So, are the probiotic supplements better for those wanting to avoid a lot of dairy? Or may they still have the same affect? I just can't stomach too much in the way of dairy. My stomach can be very picky!

I'm not really sure who they are for. I am pretty lactose intolerance and am fine with yogurt, so you may be able to eat it as well, but i'm not certain. Probiotics are supposed to help ease lactose intolerance

Madeline

My son takes a daily probiotic (Culturelle.) He has been DXed with NMH that has caused intestinal dysmotility for him. The dysmotility has led to several bouts of bacterial overgrowth, BO. BO occurs when the "bad" bacteria overtakes the "good" bacteria. When your GI tract moves food along more slowly than usual (like with intestinal dysmotility or gastroparesis) you are more apt to have this occur. BTW, your symptoms are compatible with this DX. Google "bacterial overgrowth" to learn more. My son takes a week or two of Xifaxcin when he gets a BO. His ANS doc prescribed a daily Culturelle as a preventative. It is essentially "good" bacteria that helps him regain a better balance in his GI tract. Since he began taking the Culturelle (several years ago), he has NOT had another episode of bacterial overgowth. He, too, is dairy-free. That's why he uses Culturelle as opposed to yogurt.

Many folks with slowed motility probably have minor BO's and probiotics (not necessarily antibiotics like Xifaxcin or Flagyll) are good enough to rebalance things. Let your GI decide what's best for you. Let us know what you find out.

Julie

I have recently started taking a probiotic supplement. I take one called Probiotic Advantage. It was recommended to me by a friend with POTS who also has motility issues. It had helped her a lot, so I thought I'd give it a try. It has helped me some, but it hasn't fixed my motility issues.

Probiotic Advantage is different than many other probiotics I've seen. This one actually doesn't need refrigeration because of a special encapsulation process. So it is easy to keep by your bed or take with you if you need to travel.

I hope your doctor is able to offer some good advice for you on all of this.

Rachel

Same with my son. The probiotic alone hasn't fixed Mack's motility issues, he still takes other meds for that. But, I do think it has helped prevent another bacterial overgrowth. I hope it helps you!

Julie

My appointment today went very well. When I mentioned gas and bloating, my dr himself suggested testing me for celiac. He drew the blood right there and I'll have the results on Fri...not that I'm expecting to test positive, but it will be good to at least know. I also asked about a lactose intolerance test and he said that was a good idea, but his machine is broken, so I need to go back at another time. Or I could just try eliminating dairy from my diet to see if that helps. I actually haven't eaten any dairy for the last week (it doesn't seem to have helped much), but I will see if I can hold out for another week.

As for the gas, his suggestion was that I eliminate all gas-producing foods from my diet for a couple of weeks. If that doesn't help, he suggested probiotics (again before I had a chance to ask). For those who are interested, the brands he recommends are FloraStor and FloraQ - he said these have been more thoroughly tested than any other probiotics. Neither of them need refrigeration. I'm tempted to skip the elimination diet and just try the probiotics. It has been hard enough not eating dairy. I already bought some FloraStor, but we'll see...