Immaturity

Chrissy

My mom has noticed the more I got sick, the more immature I became. I've also noticed this, but didn't know it was as bad as it is. We asked my doctor about it and he said it is caused by my mind regressing to a time before I was sick. The conclusion is that my maturity level is one of a 13 year old. I'm 20 and have no clue if I'm done regressing. Does anyone else have this?

I'm a kid stuck in a 20 year old body. I'm insecure, I say things that a kid or teenager would say that most adults wouldn't. Can't think of an example off the top of my head. I enjoy playing at the park, toys, goofing off, disney channel, and I harrass the dog. Those are some of the things I notice. I can control it for periods of time if I need to like going to a business event or when I need to act my age. But it usually slips out anyway.

You sound Ok to me. I love those things. I'm way older than you are and I just got wrapped up in Hannah Montana (although some of the pleasure is to make fun). I just cleaned out the garage and found my Inspector Gadget toy (it took 10 happy meals to get all the parts) that squirts water and a Mr. Potato head. The first thing I thought of was how great they would look in my office. You still are a kid- you should be a kid and dogs are GREAT therapy!!! (as is terrorizing cats, I get them all mad and then let them rip up a whole roll of TP just for fun). If you were immature, you wouldn't be worried right? I think this says that you need fun things to release all of your tension. POTS is hard and terrible. An Easy Bake Oven is in your future!!!

Guest tearose

It is always good to be introspective, to look at what makes us do what we do and why...and then to make changes if we want to.

It is wonderful when we can step back from ourselves and relook at our life!!

It is a very MATURE thing to do!

You underestimate yourself.

The key is not to be harsh on yourself or to look outside for validation. You did go through rough times. You may always find joy in Disney things, heck, Pollyanna and Marry Poppins are still videos on my shelf for when I need a comfy old special movie...and I am a tad bit older than 20! (++)

If you wish to start doings things differently, make a plan, break it into pieces, set goals and rewards...and just go for it!

best regards,

tearose

I love being a kid and plan to be one the rest of my life. I just want control over it. I've always been more immature than other kids my way, but I also was able to act mature beyond my years. I'm an actress at heart and every good actor as a big kid in them somewhere. I just want to be able to turn it on and off. I HOPE to have a baby some day and its bad enough I have physical limitations, I don't want to be too immature to raise my own kid. If that makes sense.

Hi Chrissy,

I think what you are describing is a perfectly normal way of dealing with your illness and the stresses it puts you under. I am the same if not worse - I think I regress to about kindergarten age! I love watching DVDs of kids TV shows, reading children's books and messing about with my sister and our "Flop" toy rabbits - I did wonder if I ought to worry about my sanity having a "talking" toy rabbit!

It is just an escape to a comfortable place where we can relax - and relaxation is so important to coping with POTS.

I often feel like I'm just a child and have never grown up. However I manage to hold down a responsible job and behave appropriately with my collegues and clients, who cares if you're hiding a "child" inside you - I don't ever want to loose my childhood, it's too much fun!

Flop

chrissy you dont sound all that immature to me!! I dont think there is anything wrong witht he disney channel! HAH! my dad is 45 and he still likes to watch spider man and the TICK every satruday morning.. and he is the biggest kid at heart i think i have ever come across! LOL

like others have allready mentioned being silly and having fun really is a good /.....GREAT way to deal with the stress of this illness...

I am 25.. and i have 2 baby girls nieces.. well i think that i some times have more fun with there toys then they :)...no harm in that...

there are times to be "adult" and serious.. but there are also times when you gotta let your hair down and "be a kid" and have fun

Flop i really laughed at you flop toy comment.. im not sure if these where real popular about 6 or so yrs back in the UK.. but we had these critter called FURBYS that were very popular for a spell....they where a realy hoot...! i had 2 of them and my mom at one point had like 5...lol.. no worries about playing with "flop" :)

Chrissy, I think that it's ok you watch the disny channel, I mean when you have nothing to do you have to find somethign to keep you occupied.

One of my friends, who is 27, LOVES veggie tales! haha, it's quite funny actually bc he gets upset if anyone makes noise when he is watching Veggie Tales. I started watching them and they are a little bit funny :)

As for me, I like horses and on saturday mornings try to secretly watch "the saddle club" myself, but when no one arounds b.c I don't want to get made fun of, lol, but thats all changed b.c now on hgtv is the new show "carter can" and carter oosterhouse is really hot. To me hot guys trump horses anyday :) heee heee heee

Madeline

I hate to see what age I am at. :) I watch Nick at Nite, Disney Channel, love to go the candy store with my kids and buy,buy,buy. I rough around with the cat, etc. I don't watch the news, don't read a newspaper, (except the sunday one sometimes, usually just for the ads! and the comics). I play brain age on their nintendo and my hubby and I bought them WII for this Xmas, (shhh, it's a secret) with all intentions that I am playing some of those games, can't wait!

There are or course some who act like they are 10 in every way! But whose to say that keeping that kid alive inside(and you still are young) is wrong?

You are dealing with an illness. I think it takes a lot of maturity to face that you are dealing with an illness. I personally don't want to be known as a 41yr old. You can call me what you want, just don't call me old or maam!!! :)