Needing Allergy Shots But Can't While On Beta Blocker

lalalisa

Hello,

In April I had sinus surgery because I've had constant sinus infections that often last for months at a time. (they thought surgery would help because they were opening my sinuses up and allowing for more drainage) I also had some polyps removed. The problem is I am continuing to struggle with infections. My ENT thinks that allergies could be the cause. I am a very allergic person and I'm already on 3-4 allergy meds.

Anyways, I saw the allergist today who said that as long as i'm on a beta blocker I can't get allergy shots. I trust her on this because it sounds like I'd be at a much higher risk for anaphylaxis.

All this to say....I need to pick between going off of my Toprol and taking shots ....the Toprol helps with keeping my heartrate under control. (My heartrates don't seem to be in the dangerous range when i go off of Toprol....my quality of life is just decreased as you all understand.)

Or, stay on Toprol and suffer from frequent sinus infections.

I haven't talked with Dr Grubb about this yet ....I just wondered if any of you are in the same position??

Any thoughts??

Lisa

That's interesting that they may make actually worse. I didn't realize any of this....

Lisa

Beta-blockers made my allergies and breathing problems much worse. They made a long list of my other symptoms worse too, and they didn't control my heartrate and blood pressure. When I was taking metoprolol, my electrophysiologist just kept telling me that my allergies and breathing problems would get better once ragweed season was over (they didn't). I kept telling him I had severe year-round allergies, and that I'd never been that bad before. I knew it was the metoprolol, but he wouldn't listen to me.

I had an allergist I used to see and once I started the beta he allowed me to stay on the beta while getting shots. He watched me closely. I did that for years. When I switched allergists to one closer to me, he won't even try it all with me. I know it has to do with the chance of going into an crisis and needing the epi-pen, the beta would contradict the effect of the epi..and come to think of it, the epi would make us tachy too :) So I've not continued with shots.

I honestly can't say wether the shots helped or not prior to starting my beta and during. So I take me allergy meds and that's where I stand.

Lisa- you have my sympathies- I had immunotherapy (shots) for 5 years and it really helped improve my symptoms. However, when I did have a sneezing fit afterwards, the epi treatment caused severe tachycardia (very unpleasant). <_< However, my allergies are now so mild, I just use Allegra.

Here's a simple tip- you can eat locally farmed honey to help boost your immunity to your local flora. The bees get some of the pollen on them and the theory is, your body will build up a tolerance to your local pollen.