Is recovery even possible?

Guest veryblue

Guest veryblue

I am begining to wonder if a complete recovery is even possible. Have any of you out there wondered that too. My docs all tell me that since my POTS literally hit me overnight, with no known cause and no genetic underlying predisposistion, then most likey I will just wake up one day and be normal again. Then he said it usually takes anywhere from 6 - 12 months. But I really am begining to question his authority here. Has anyone else out there even heard of anyone that has recovered? I figured you guys would know better than any docotrs, since we are the real experts! Maybe Michelle would know since she hears from so many people. I just need to know because I still have high hopes that one day I will return to being able to jump out of bed at 4 am and go to the gym before going to school! Hope dies eternal but I dont need any false hopes over here. Please respond!

This question was asked previously by "this blows". You can read the answers at the following web address:

http://dinet.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=388

You might want to go back and read some of "this blows" posts, as she asked many of the same questions you have.

Michelle

I too read back posts from 'this blows.' My family and I compare this to having cancer. I am sick for a long time and then go into somewhat of a remission where I still have symptoms but I am much more functional than at other times. I take full advantage of the times I am feeling at my best!! My system also gets immune to medications where I find myself having to start all over again. But I do because I have to. I have come to grips with this is the hand I have been dealt and I am going to deal with it. :)

I think all of us are different, just like with any other diagnosis. Find what works the best for you, have a good support system and take extra special care of yourself.

Better days are ahead, be patient..

Sue

Hey,

You know I have read many times that people with post-viral POTS are more likely to get better and not to be a downer cause I am still hoping for the day I can jump out of bed but I have had this since 1995. Been in bed virtually and housebound since then. And mine was surely post viral. Mine started with bronchitis and then a virus and then Nov 6th 1995 boom! it had me! I have been much worse in 1997 I was down to 84lbs so I guess I have recovered some becuase I can eat enough to maintain. anyway This "gift" as another POTS friend I know calls it effects us all in different ways I guess our recovery rate will be different too but like I said I am still hopeful for the day when I can get up and run!

Stacey :-)

Guest veryblue

Humm..I wish I had post viral POTS...just cuz it might give me hope but the truth is I have no idea what caused my POTS. The day before my onset back in January I actually worked out at the gym. I did 45 minutes on the eplicital trainer, 10 minutes on the bike, lifted weights for 20 minutes and then played a game of pick up basketball! Talk about endurance. I had a tiny bit of a headache and had a stuffy nose but I took some psuedopherine (240mgs of it) and they both went away. Basically, I felt fine! Then the next day wham. I dont even think I have POTS. My best guess rught now is that I have some sort of hormone imbalance that is lowering my blood volume and causing all my sympotms that are similar of POTS. I'm having several tests that I forced my GP to do. Thank god I have great GP who is will to do whatever test I throw his way. He told me yesterday when I was in there to go over my CT scan (which was fine obvisously) that when I get over all this, he better see in a great medical school...not law school! Ha I already know more about the ANS than most doctors do. Maybe I should give med school a shot (but only when I get out of this **** im living in now of course) I mean I have a 3.9 GPA and a very high IQ. (I dont want to brag over here or anything) But I think I could be a great doctor! But only if this POTS or whatever goes away!

There are documented cases of spontanious healing for every disorder that has been diagnosed. So why give up hope? It could be you. In fact what if you imagined it was you ... right now. Imagine yourself back up at full pace. Keep those images in your mind for as much of the day as possible. What I've learned through this is that even though my "doctors" have not always been able to find the cause or cure .... my body eventually worked out a way to improve. Our bodies can heal.

I love the expression that the wake of the boat does not propel it forward. And indeed we are not defined by the illness of our past. It doesn't matter how long we have been ill, we are right here, right now and the possbililities are limitless.

For myself, I've known people who have improved dramatically, who have returned to work and led full lives. Some, like myself, have experienced periods of down time now and again. Sometimes for days, sometimes for months one end. Most of the time, I do recognize a "turning point". Not that I can jump up and run a race, but a feeling somewhere deep inside that confirms there is a light at the end of the tunnel and that I will emerge from this abyss once again.

We define for ourselves what recovery means. And while no one can tell you for certain that you will return to your remembered self ... most of us will tell you with confidence that you will improve. And should you become that famous doctor one day in the future .... you will have a line around the block for patients wanting to learn from you about hope and healing.

Good luck in your journey,

EM