Bye Bye Balance...falling Over Alot

dizzygirl

hi ya folks..

I was wondering.. ive in recent wks.. been having alot fo trouble with just falling down with no warning..I am NOT fainting or blacking out.. but im falling over.. stumbling.. and unsteady on my feet..

It is some times with in seconds of standing up or taking a few steps.. other times i can be standing and bloop down i go.. and like i said i am not fainting or balcking out.. and there is no warning.. its kind of like my body temporarily turns into a giant blob for a few seconds.. then returns to normal after i lay where ever ive landed for a few minutes..

what do you all do for this?

I have an appointment to see a neurosurgeon coming up in october.. and to see a neuromuscular dr in december... and am seeing my ans dr in october as well..talked to my pcp...he says to go to ans and neurosurgeon.. suggestions anybody?

The only time I would fall over was when I was having problems with spinal cord compression and nerve root compression--these problems pretty much disappeared after having my spinal surgeries in 2002. Until that time, I would only leave the house if I was going with another person.

Nina

uh i dont mean to sound illiterate .. BUT is compression along the same lines as having your spinal cord pinched off from a bad herniated disc?

i have a slow not quite comprehending brain today.....! :lol:

usually the disc will cause pressure on the nerves that branch out from the cord--I also have significant stenosis (narrowing of the canal that the cord is in) an spondylosis (bone spurs) that were pressing on nerves as well. I did not have a disc-it had ruptured many years earlier and at the place (c5-6), I had additionally bone spurs/scars that were pressing on the cord, narrowing the canal down to less than half of the normal size. The surgery I had cleaned out the area and placed a graft in the place where the disc should have been so that the c5 and c6 were no longer resting directly on each other but had a graft to normalize the space between the two. Hope that helps make some sense... if not, ask.

Nina

Spinal cord compression can be caused by many things, essentially anything that reduces the space available for the spinal cord and "squashes" it will cause a compression.

Discs can herniate in different directions. Often (as MightyMouse described) they bulge sideways and squash the nerve roots as they leave the spinal column. They can also have central herniation where they bulge into the spinal canal. The spinal canal is made up of rings of bone on top of each other, the spinal cord surrounded by its protective membranes and bathed in fluid (CSF) passes through those bony rings. The bone is designed to protect the delicate spinal cord but if the canal gets too tight for any reason then the cord can be compressed causing neurological symptoms.

If you have had MRI scans of your spine your PCP should be able to read the reports and see if cord compression may be a possibility in your case.

I hope you get some answers soon,

Flop

you can do a search for more info.

"CAUSES OF DROP ATTACKS

In most instances (64%), the cause of the drop attack is never definitively established (Meissner et al, 1986). About 12% are due to the heart (a variant of syncope), 8% due to poor circulation to the brain, 8% due to problems with both the heart and brain, 7% due to seizures, 5% due to the inner ear (Menieres disease -- called the otolithic crisis of Tumarkin), and 1%, due to psychological problems. Rarely, drop attacks are exaggerated startle reactions. A small number of drop attacks may be due to SCD (superior canal dehiscence syndrome) (Brandtberg et al, 2005)"

I have had these. but only 2 from gettin up from a sitting position, and probaly 2 while already standing. All were before I got on meds. Out of the blue- no warning. I feel these are more danerous than a faint with warning time.

i use to number one, aviod stairs and number 2, sit and go down one at a time, or have a spotter.

please be careful~!

FYI, my cause- NCS

I too have bouts of "DROP ATTACKS" they are very strange and scary. Dr. Grubb tells me again they are from a drop in your pressure. Since upping my celexa to 60 mg a day, they seem to be more under control.

((Hugs))

Sue

hey all thanks for the info....

Uhm drop attacks .. that is intersting.. for some time now i have been dealing with suddne extrem weakness and lathrgic stuf...in the past several yrs.. i had a few episodes where my legs would give out.. but it would come and go and then id be allright.. now im getting them ALOT....

I had wondered if if was BP related// but i dont get dizzy or anything like that.. so i kind of put that reasoning off to the back burner...

I think that celexa is one of the efw meds that i have NOT tried..i' dont seem to do well on ssri's...but i see bev from grubb's office in oct.. so i can talk to her abut it.. is there a smaler dose of celexa available?

thanks again for the info folks!