Does Coughing Make Your Heart Race?

Hello,

I just got back from the pcp. He says I have a sinus infection, so he put me on an antibiotic. While he was listening to my chest, he said when I coughed it really raised my heart rate. Is this normal?

Also, one coughing fit made me so lightheaded I thought I was going to pass out. Is this part of it too?

Thanks,

Angela

Coughing, rolling over in bed, singing, laughing, and yelling all make me VERY tachycardic. Plus if you are sick that could be contributing as well. I hope you feel better soon.

Sheridan

Angela.

Sorry to hear that your sick :) Nothing worse than having to deal with an infection in the middle of the summer! Hope your feeling better soon. As far as your question goes about coughing, I know exactly what your talking about. Even when I'm not sick, and I take a deep breath, I get lightheaded. I can't stand when a dx listens to my heart..and makes me take big breaths!!

I'm not sure if its normal that your heart rate goes up when you cough, but i'm sure that if the dx isn't to worried about it, you shouldn't been either.

Rest up and feel better deary!

Hi Angela.

Sorry to hear you are ill. ;)

Yes, coughing, sneezing...and even a big breath or sigh will sometimes make it tachy or feel like I skipped a few beats. So I think it's fairly common, as others have mentioned. If your doctor wasn't too concerned I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Hope you feel better soon!!