Paxil/update

Hi guys,

In my last post I mentioned that I had 2 doctor's apptmts this week...So here's what went down!

I saw my cardio Thurs. he switched me from Zoloft to Paxil to see if this helps with the POTS and also to see if it cuts down on my headaches, since Zoloft's side effects included headaches. Anyone else on Paxil, and also could you tell me your experiences on it. I still have to go in for the long term monitoring to see whats gonig on with my crazy heart rates and rhythms, etc. I dread going in to do it, but I know it has to be done. I know no one looks forward into staying at the hospital for a few days to a week. So that is on my list of things to do next!

Today I saw my GI doc and they finally talked me into having an upper endoscopy, has anyone had this done? What were your experiences?? They also gave me some meds to take for the nausea, I think it's called Phenergen. Today while I was there I actually had on of my attack things I've been having. My head felt numb, dizzy/lightheaded, and I turned all pale. Within 2 seconds my heart rate shot up. This all happened after I had a mild stomache pain and stretched my body. So atleast this crazy thing happened at the docs/hospital...Anyhow, just thought I'd give you guys an update, hopefully I am able to post more soon!

Jacquie

Hi,

I've been taking Paroxetine since last autumn and am getting on well with it. (Generic name = Paroxetine, US Brand = Paxil, UK Brans = Seroxat) - why can't there be just one drug name, it would be much less confusing!!

I've posted about it before but I was very sensitive to the first dose and ended up feeling very drunk - not a nice experience!! I took half a tablet (10mg) a day after that for 2 weeks then went back to the whole 20mg dose. Initially I felt rather "overstimulated" with walls and objects moving in my vision, everything looked really bright and "in your face" and the floor was swaying! On the half dose I just felt rather wobbly and a bit nauseous but that settled down within 2 weeks and in the long-term I don't notice any side-effects at all.

Let us know how you get on with the paroxetine - hopefully it will suit you better than the Zoloft (Sertraline).

Flop

I've had many upper endoscopies--they were easy. If you tolerated the colonoscopy, then the upper endoscopy will be a cake walk.

Nina

Hi guys,

Thank you for all your replies. B) I'll let you know how everything turns out!

Jacquie

Hi guys,

I am also being started on 40mg does that seem a bit high to be starting on??

Thanks,

Jacquie

Hi,

40mg is a "normal treatmant dose". In people who have not been on an SSRI before they would normally be started on 20mg then increased to 40mg if needed after a few weeks.

I guess as you have been on Zoloft your doctor has decided to start you on the higher dose right away. Personally I found that 20mg was too strong for me to start with but then I had never taken an SSRI before so my system probably reacted differently to how yours will. I guess there would be no harm in starting on a smaller dose. I don't know if you have been given 40mg tablets and how small they will break (my 20mg ones split easily into 2x 10mg) but taking either 10mg or 20mg the first time would let you see how your body responds. If you feel fine on 20mg you could take the full 40mg the next day.

In the end the decision is for you and your doctor to make. I know I had a horrid time with my first dose but as is often said on here we all respond so differently to meds and dosages that you won't know how your body will respond until you take the med.

Hope the paroxetine works and helps you feel better,

Flop