Writing A Research Paper On Pots-looking For Input

Hello everyone! I have a huge research paper to write for one of my classes at school, and the advantage to this is that I get to choose the topic! So I have decided to do the paper on POTS (which was a no brainer!) because I want to learn more about it and help make others more aware. The paper will be distributed to each student in the class, as well as the instructor. So this will be a great opportunity for others to learn about POTS. (hey if it's good enough I will see if I can get in published in a magazine too).

SO...I am requesting help from all of you...not in writing it, but in giving your opinion, ideas, what you know about POTS, any articles you may have that will be helpful in my research, any books, etc. What would you like to see in the paper? Is there anything specific you really want others to know? Anything you want to add will be helpful. I know I can find enough information on my own to successfully write this paper, but I really thought it would be beneficial to get input and resources from all of you, since we all have POTS. Might make a better and more informed paper for others.

I think this is a great opportunity and look forward to anyone who would like to give their input!

Thanks,

Lauren

Hi Lauren,

sorry if you've posted this information before but can I ask how old you are and what class this research paper is for? (I don't really understand the US education system), it would help if we knew the intended readership for the paper.

A good starting place would be the information pages on the DINET site. There is a good book by Dr Blair Grubb "The fainting phenomenon: Understanding why people faint and what to do about it" - it is about all types of fainting not just POTS but it should be helpful to you.

Flop

No problem. I am 29 years old and this paper is for a college English research writing course. The intended readership for the paper is various students of various backgrounds...lots of nursing and med students, as well as students studying other majors not related to the medical field.

The purpose of our research papers are to thoroughly research and write a paper on any topic of interest to us to share with the class. Thus I choose POTS. Mainly because it's of interest to me and I want to find out more, but also so that others can learn about it to.

So I am just looking for info maybe not on the DINET site that would also be helpful. I need to have a minimum of three different resources, with DINET being one of them. I also thought it would be fun and informative if people here on the board had input or ideas or resources that would make this paper more beneficial to those reading it to learn more.

I hope that helps! :(

Hi Lauren,

sorry if you've posted this information before but can I ask how old you are and what class this research paper is for? (I don't really understand the US education system), it would help if we knew the intended readership for the paper.

A good starting place would be the information pages on the DINET site. There is a good book by Dr Blair Grubb "The fainting phenomenon: Understanding why people faint and what to do about it" - it is about all types of fainting not just POTS but it should be helpful to you.

Flop

No problem Lauren,

when people say school I usually think of kids and teenagers. I can see that as this is a university course that you need a higher level of research as your reference material. I'll have a hunt about at home and see if I can find any papers that might be useful to you.

Dr Grubb does have another book, written with Brian Olshansky which is aimed at physicians called "Syncope: Mechanisms and Management" - you might be able to borrow a copy from the library.

Flop

I'm working on my master's right now, so I know all about research papers :( . Some good sites to go to for free scientific papers include highwire.stanford.edu and scholar.google.com. Never pay for a paper! Also, when searching for POTS, I tend to include syndrome in the search bar so I don't get a lot of sites about gardening...

A great article can be found at http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/reprint/111/22/2997. It gives an overview. Also, I've found that a Pathophysiology book can be handy in trying to figure out exactly where the nervous system or the circulatory system went wrong.

Best of luck!

Sara

Thanks Flop, I will see if I can find that book.

Sara, those sites are great! I particularly like the hirewire one. And the article you referred me to from the AHA. Thanks!

Anything in particular everyone would like stressed to people who don't know about POTS?

Thanks for the help...this should turn out to be a great paper! :(

Okay, everyone...here are the four articles I am planning on using right now. If there is another article out there somewhere, less than 3 years old, that would be of great benefit and has lots of info please let me know.

Also, I am trying to find more information specifically on how the autonomic nervous system is involved but haven't found anything real informative. Any ideas?

Articles I have:

Two by Blair Grubb: "The Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: A Concise Guide to Diagnosis and Management" and also "Neurocardiogenic Syncope and Related Disorders of Orthostatic Intolerance."

Mark Thieben, et al. "Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: The Mayo Clinic Experience."

Peter A. Brady, et al. "Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia, Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, and Overlapping Syndromes."

Thanks everyone for your help!

Hi there,

Good luck with your paper. I wrote a paper for one of my cardiovascular technology courses about POTS. I think the most informative of all for my classmates to see and for the professor also was to see the primary diagnostic test results of tilt in a group of people with suspected pots. I got some wonderful info on this, taking about 35 patients, revealing responses to hear up tilt -- this was research testing that was performed on the pedi population though (patient 18 and under) so it excludes the adult patients who struggle with pots. It is still very good info and pulls numbers for both supine and upright tilt BP and HR within first ten minutes and then also responses of these 35 patients to isoproterenol injection. VERY cool to see the actual numbers in these patients from supine to stand, and also symptom correlation, and last but certainly NOT least, the therapy for each individual patient based on their responses to tilt with BP and HR. It is put in categorical approach, not in graphs with dots and lines that could never be interpreted or understood by the average joe shmoe, so it's reader friendly. On top of adding THAT info into MY research report on POTS, I also included my very own tilt table test report -- which was also in a categorical form, outlining my HR and BP responses to every one minute of being both supine and then upright.

I think it wasnt until my classmates and professor saw THIS info, the actual numbers and symptom correlation that they realized just how devastating and challenging it can be to live with this condition -- as every time you are in upright position (which constitutes the majority of a NORMAL day for the "NORMAL" individual) you are symptomatic and you can very tachycardic and/or hypotensive. For some reason, I think it is hard for people, even in the med field, to try and JUST understand symptoms, but it is not until they see the VISIBLE pathophysiologic reflections/responses that are PRODUCING or leading to such symptoms (blood pooling - ie: the muddled purple appearance to the lower legs, tachycardic numbers while upright, potential hypotensive numbers while upright, etc) that they really see the significance and severity of such a condition.......another good site is Julian Stewart site, demonstrating with the picture of the woman whose leg circumference changes dramatically from blood pooling in upright position -- along with that, the intense dark muddled purple appearance to her lower extremetities. I'd definitely include THAT in your report as well. The site for that is:

http://www.nymc.edu/fhp/centers/syncope/POTS.htm

as for the site that gives 35 patients responses to head upright tilt, I'm not sure if you can still get it online "for free". I found this, which is the abstract to the article but I was unable to locate the full article without having to subscribe or pay for it. I was able to get the full article two years ago online without subscription or purchasing.

The article is called "The Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: A Potentially Treatable Cause of Chronic Fatigue, Exercise Intolerance, and Cognitive Impairment in Adolescents --->

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/1....2000.tb06760.x

OH YES --- ANOTHER AWESOME Part of an article I put in to my report explains a scenerio given in order for a physician to understand what an individual with pots experiences on a daily basis -- I thought this was pretty cool to add into my report, as it gives food for thought, it really paints a very precise and CONCISE picture for those who DONT know what it's like to TRY and AT LEAST understand PHYSICALLY what it would BE LIKE to have to deal with POTS on a daily basis. VERY GOOD SCENERIO given.

the site is: Experiment for Doctors, Christopher Calder --

http://home.att.net/~potsweb/mindexperiment.html

hey gayla! nice to see your name pop up!!!

for your information lauren, gayla has written a book about living life with pots (how it was found and how she deals with it). as a proud owner of this, i can advise you to read it. maybe it could help you getting ideas for your paper!

good luck writing,

corina :rolleyes:

I didn't know that...that is great! What is the name of the book? I would love to pick it up and read it sometime!

hey gayla! nice to see your name pop up!!!

for your information lauren, gayla has written a book about living life with pots (how it was found and how she deals with it). as a proud owner of this, i can advise you to read it. maybe it could help you getting ideas for your paper!

good luck writing,

corina :rolleyes:

lauren,

it is called: Dawg Tired, the brain fog chronicles.

my husband bought it for my birthday last year. when you want to buy it, i think you'd better pm gayla, as i'm not quite sure how he got it (ha: the brain fog you see :rolleyes:B):lol: ).

when you want to send a personal message, you go to My controls (here at this forum, above on the right and compose a new message).

good luck and happy reading,

corina :)

The Dinet and ndrf sites have citations of recent articles - and the NDRF manual is also a fabulous source of info. In terms of what POTS patients want others to know about the condition, there are a lot of good ideas under Michelle's topic about the documentary. Good luck!

Lauren, for the sake of your article I will e-mail you a copy if you would like. But if you would like to purchase the book you can click on the "Dawg Tired" link in my signature and follow the links.

Lauren, for the sake of your article I will e-mail you a copy if you would like. But if you would like to purchase the book you can click on the "Dawg Tired" link in my signature and follow the links.

Oh thank you...that is SO sweet! I would love a emailed version (harmony7877@yahoo.com). I am also going to purchase a copy when I get paid in a week...I think it would make a great gift for my mom who suffers from a debilitating form of FMS and CFS. She will probably love it!

Hi Lauren:

Here are some interesting links that may be useful:

A study of identical twins with lifelong cases of POTS showed that a problem with the norepinephrine transporter can cause POTS

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?D...Pubmed_RVDocSum

If the gene for the norepinephrine transporter is switched off, the patient may end up with panic disorder, or POTS, or both:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?D...Pubmed_RVDocSum