Evening Primrose Oil safe to use?

ethansmom

I have really bad PMS ever since my son was born, and I used to take a St. John's Wort based formula, which really helped. BUT I can't use that while nursing, so my lactation consultant suggested Evening Primrose Oil. Before I start using it, I want to make sure no one knows anything about possible any adverse reactions, etc... ever tried it at all? All that's in it is Evening Primrose seed oil, gelatin, glycerin, and water. It has Omega-6 and Omega-9 fatty acids, which I would think would be good for me, and not bad... hmmm....I just get so nervous taking anything new!!

If any ladies have found something else that is more "tried and true" for POTS and PMS, please let me know!!

My Gynecologist has me on Evening Primrose for the week before my period...and Vitamin E for the entire month, doubling the dose in the week prior to my period. I've had no side effects, other than some good ones: bloating and tenderness isn't as bad as it was before I started her regimen. It's worth a shot a relatively low risk as long as you don't take more than is recommended.

Nina :(

about the safety issue:

if i'm not mistaken evening primrose oil is a source of both vitamin E and vitamin K. both (especially vitamin K) act as blood thinners. so if hypotension is a problem for you, you might want to keep the dosage low.

i've been taking evening primrose oil for a couple of weeks at a low dose (not for PMS, obviously), with no noticeable side effects in the POTS department.

Sorry having a brain foggy day :( But I think I was really irritable and anxious. It might have made my face break out too. On a sidenote, I had similar effects when I tried to take birth control pills (only more extreme with pills). I remember feeling like I had PMS non-stop - ugh.

I hope you have better luck than me! Keep us posted :(