Those Of You Who Had Colonoscopy - What Did They Find?

Are they just trying to rule out internal bleeding as a cause for the anemia? They have to do a colonoscopy to do that?

Just curious. I also have anemia, but my doctors seem pretty assured it is caused by my heavy periods. My endocrinologist did mention that the only other test he would suggest would be a stool (study? I don't know the terminology) to ensure no bleeding in my GI tract. Has that been done?

Katherine

Katherine,

They have mentioned heavy periods, but aren't sure. I think they want to rule out GI issues and THEN blame it on my period. I'm scheduled for and endoscopy and colonoscopy in July. My periods have always been on the heavy side so I don't know why it would cause anemia now in my life. If I take iron supplements, my iron serum levels go way up, ferritin only a little. When I go off the supplements, the iron serum goes down as well as ferritin so something is definitely going on in my body. Just don't know what.

Hi Jennifer,

it is quite common to have both a gastroscopy (OGD) and colonoscopy when looking for causes of iron deficiency anaemia. They need to do both tests to check for anything that may be causing bleeding, ulcers and polyps are some of the the causes that are simple to treat once you know thay are the problem.

Some people do have stool tests done (testing for faecal occult blood) but they are more of a screening test and I'm not sure that they are sensitive enough for investigating once they have found anaemia.

The alternative to colonoscopy would be a barium enema but from what I've heard the test is not as accurate and much more unpleasant to have done.

Good luck and I hope they find an answer for you.

Flop

Hi,

I am 37 and had a colonoscopy last year. They found severe colitis and diagnosed me with Chrons Disease which mostly means inflamation in and around the bowel. I have been on medication (sulfa drugs) and have been able to manage with it just fine. My symptoms were similar to you with the thought of anemia. The procedure is never fun but I feel definately needed to find an answer to all your questions. Good luck with everything. :lol:

They found "acute" colitis with me. basically said it wasnt a big deal, just an acute thing, and nothing that would continue on or become a chronic problem. havent had any problems with it since and that was 4 years ago.

you mentioned heavy periods. my aunt has had heavy periods for years - at first it wasnt ever a problem for her, but later on in her life, she started getting anemic and actually passed out on numerous occasions from losing so much blood from heavy periods.......so this could be a potential reason as to why you are having problems with anemia. it was the case for my aunt anyway.

hope you find some answers.

cardiactec.

My mum had this done last Fri due to severe anaemia. She also had an Endoscopy at the same time. She already had gastritis and polyps in her stomach but this time they said she had H.Polyri as well as a hiatus hernia.

I had both done last summer when I was having some very very severe stomach problems. The pains turned out to be a gastrointenstial infection (the cause of which was never discovered), but the symtpoms had essentially cleared by the time the got around do doing my endo and colonoscopys. I was left with some lovely photos of the cameras trip, and a perfectly clear intestinal system.