Burning Pain In Back And Sorta Indigestion Feeling?

Last week I actually went to the ER because I thought I might be having a heart attack - it is one of my fears and triggers for my panic attacks. Anyway, I kind of felt like I had indigestion...burning in upper stomach and a lot of burping. This went on for several hours and I finally just had to go to the ER for my sanity. What scared me is that I also had burning in my back too... in the muscles of both sides of my back. Can you have back pain with indigestion or digestive problems? This has happened twice now about 7 days apart.

is the back feeling in the same spot as where you get the heartburn? Because I've had something similar I think. Typically it happens when I eat too fast or I eat in a more reclined position. I actually had it this afternoon when I made a trip to the ER myself (for other reasons) - I honestly didn't think to mention it. Its infrequent, so I've never really told a Doc about it though maybe tis a good idea.

hi i am from ohio 2, and have he same pains. :) doctors just seam to ignore my complaites at this point.. its very frustrusting have lost 30 ld but still eat?alway in pain.doctors think its just from all my faints no big deal ...is 2 me and family.good luck

Sorry you had to face an ER trip for this pain and don't have an answer.

Often ER docs just want to make sure that there isn't something that is an emergency going on (like an acute MI / heart attack). Once they are happy that the pain isn't dangerous to you they often let you go. You might be better following this up with your PCP, also ask your PCP to advise you when you should go to the ER - they might be able to list some things that would need an urgent check and others that you can safely leave alone.

I hope the pain settles and doesn't bother you anymore. Having something like chest pain worries anyone, but it is worse if it triggers your anxiety. You need to work out a keep calm plan so you don't end up in a cycle of pain and anxiety chasing each other.

Flop

Hi, Jennifer. I am sorry you had such a scary, miserable time.

One thing which is very common is a diaphragm spasm caused by a number of different things. People get pains almost in a band in the lower ribs, or on one side only, or in the front and back, etc. A frequent cause is hiatal hernia syndrome, which also causes lots of burping and other types of problems. I am sure that other stomach irritations can upset the diaphram. So can coughing from a bad cold or allergy attack, etc. Or eating too fast. Or eating too much. Or lying down too soon after eating. Or bending too much after eating.

I know this because of my post-prandial tachy, which I minimize by treating it like a hiatal hernia. When my stomach has too much in it (even air from eating too fast), it will press on my heart or inferior vena cava and the heart speeds up. My worst ER type tachy attacks in the beginning were after eating, with lots of burping, lower chest tightness, etc.

There is a book, The Hiatal Hernia Syndrome, which has all sorts of things you can do for yourself. You can get it in paperback from the Holographic Health website.

Best wishes.

OLL