Low Body Temperature

Lina,

My temp is always low between 95.6-96.6. The only time it gows up at all is if I am really sick. I am not sure if this is a POTS thing or not, but it will be interrestiong to see what others say!

I have a hard time keeping warm. My body temperature is typically low. When I was in the hopsital delivering my second daughter I became hypothermic. I felt very flu like at the time. Since then I have had a number of times when I think I should have a fever, and my body temp is low. I use a heating pad to bring my temp up now when I feel like this, and it helps a bit. I will also run a warm bath.

I will also sweat like crazy when my temp is low. It is so strange.

Rhonda

Oh Boy. Tell me about always feeling cold. I can never get warm. MY hands and feet become white and numb from lack of circulation. Our ANS controls all autonomic functions including internal temperature. So we having an imbalance throws our body temperature all off. I am from NY and today is blustery cold which is leaving me frozen to the core of my body.

The temperature is part of the Autonomic System. My daughter has had these temperature problems for years. It used to be only high temps. Doctors were always looking for infections. Now at least we understand that it is the autonomic nervous system. Hers can go and did so on Friday from 90 to 102 in a few hours. She is now seeing Dr. Grubb who told us that the temperature problems are not as common as the other symptoms with POTS, etc. He has her on cymbalta. She started on 20 mg and is up to 60 mg and is trying to get adjusted. We hope it works!

Both my son (NMH) and I (POTS) have really low temps. Like Rhonda, my son will be sweating and have a temp of 95. Very strange. Like many of you, I often feel really cold. I sleep with a heating pad every night just because it feels so good and warm. I'm certain this is further disregulation of our autonomic nervous systems.

Julie

I am so coldddddddddddd, sometimes I warm up for brief periods, but most of the time, even in my 75F apartment, my hands are freezing, I feel freezing. My thermometer always says 98.2F when I take my temperature. I asked the cardiologist who diagnosed me with POTS what I can do, I asked her why I'm so cold, she mentioned it might be circulation problem, but geez, I swear I feel like I'm dying or something is really wrong. I'm not quite sure what to do, but I'm going back to see her, ask her for more blood tests. I stopped taking florinef, I didn't feel any better! my feet were just swollen. I wear like thermal shirts under my clothes and stuff inside, I feel ridiculous. I'm only 32, I'm male, and my gramma thinks it is hot when I am cold! She is 76! how sad! :)

My TSH test was normal, as was cbc and the other blood tests. Anyways, other than lying down under my electric blanket, if anyone has any recommendations for me to help about feeling like I am going to freeze to death all the time, let me know!

When I was on florinef she gave me .5mg to take every other day. Does anyone take .5mg every day? or more? I wonder if that will help me. I wonder if a higher dosage would help me?

I take Paxil 30mg and Klonopin 1mg daily, plus advil and reg. aspirin as needed. Any advice appreciated, thanks, Dennis

Guest tearose

This is so true for me!!! I can't stand being cold and my body just doesn't generate more heat! My normal body temp is always around 97.7! I try to make my self feel better and I think we are going to live longer because we are "cooler"...like being in the fridge! :):unsure:

hey, it makes me turns a lousy condition into something more hopeful!!

that attitude and merino wool helps me survive!

tearose

Wow, I thought I was the only person with this problem. My temp runs around 97.5, rarely any higher. My family thinks I'm nuts, since I wear thermals about all year long. I can't remember the last time I was hot and sweaty. I found that niacin, each day, has helps a little to prevent it from going lower than 97.5.

Thanks for all the replies. It is good to know I am not alone. Today is sunny and it feels good but I still have my fleece and slippers on!

To Dave - try the heating pad or the kind you can warm up in the microwave. I take .4 of florinef everyday and I have not had a tachy episode in several weeks. My dr says it takes a while for it to work. Hang in there