Sever Dry Eye

Pianist

I was wondering if anybody else out there got severe dry eye at a young age. About 1.5 year ago I started getting all kinds of wierd eye problems (before a bunch of other stuff started) dry eye, eye strain, photophobia, high interocular eye pressure. I'm 35, my neuro-opthamologist said I have the dry eyes of a 75 year old.

Don't know about dry eyes. I have visual disturbance stuff and light and motion sensitivity (can induce siezures). I've been having problems w/my eyes recently. I wonder if it's related to dry eyes? It's itchy and looks yellow. I saw an eye doctor here (probably not a very good one), without telling him about my other medical problems, POTS, etc. He said I have allergies, and the "yellow" is blood in the whites. ??? It tears when I read sometimes.

i definitely have dry eyes, as well as dry lots of other things. i'm 27. secretions are in part related to ANS functioning which is the explanation i've been given. i don't have any issues with eye pressure, though i do have an abnormal proliferation of vessels in my eyes, likely related to their dryness.

you're not alone with the dry eyes issue though.

:( melissa

My eyes are so dry, they finally cauterized my tear ducts shut, so my tears would hopefully help. My numbers are borderline.

Your best bet is to use drops without preservatives. I get pitting on my corneas and man the regular drops are like putting acid in them. The single use don't tend to burn, although they are more expensive.

I haven't found anything that helps much, including the cauterization.....

Y'all,

Count me in on dry eyes since about 35 also, at the peak of my POTS experience. I have plugs in my bottom two tear ducts and that did me well until this fall when the heat came on. Suddenly, I'm LOTS worse. As others have stated, I also have a very dry mouth, which EVERYBODY should be warned about - I have easily spent $20,000 on crowns and bridges, lost teeth, etc. to the dry mouth syndrome.

However, in my case, I have been going through menopause, which is probably why I'm worse.

Here's a GREAT site for dry eyes - www.dryeyezone.com. They have their own medium thickness brand of drops that are often on sale, with a preservative that is harmless (at least to me and others), and a great discussion forum. You can get lots of questions answers and meet some great people there. Be sure and check it out.

I can't afford Restatis, as my insurance doesn't cover prescriptions. Does anybody have any experience with closing all FOUR tear ducts? Might be cheaper for me.

Good luck,

Elegiamore