Body Water Percentage

yogini

Hi,

I just got a new body fat scale last week which includes body water. The manual says that a normal body water percentage for women is 45-60%. My body water percentage last week was 50.5% and for the past couple of days, it has been 49%. I guess I'm normal, but of course on the low end of the range. I am wondering if the loss in water is affecting how I'm feeling...or maybe I am reading too much into things? Hormones are a factor right now too, so it'll be interesting to see how things play out. Just wondering if any of you know what your body water is?

-Rita

Mine is very helpful. If the number gets too low then I intervene fast before I need IV. My numbers are wierd though. I am way too fluid logged @ 40 and try and stay between 30-35. The magic number is in how you feel. I found it helpful to keep a log for a few weeks and find when you are feeling better and stay within those numbers.

Kit,

Glad to hear that the scale is helping you. It's interesting that you are also on the low side in terms of

body water. I'll bet that's problem for many of us.

Rachel/Corina,

The brand of the scale is Tanita. They make body fat scales - you may want to check the package because only a few of the models include a body water function. I got mine from amazon.com. I bought the cheapest one with the body water feature and it was $50. I've seen the scales at lots of other stores like BBB and Target. Hopefully they're available in Europe too! :)

If anyone decides to get one, let me know. I'll also post back after I've used it for a little while to let you know if it's helping me.

-Rita

Hi Rita,

I've got a Tanita scale too. I live in the UK and bought mine at Boots the Chemist (a large pharmacy / beauty shop).

My body water percentage is usually about 48%.

My cardio wants it to be 55 - 60% but I can't get it that high even with fluids, salt and florinef.

For those without fancy scales the colour of your urine is a good way to tell how hydrated you are. If you are getting dehydrated your urine will get darker in colour and may smell strong (it should be pale yellow and clear). Also look at your tongue in the mirror - it should be moist.

If anyone else has these type of scales what sort of readings do you get?

flop

For me I think 49% is my "normal". I don't think I am dehydrated, but benefit from having extra water weight. I think I could even feel the difference between 50.5% and 49%. My goal is to try to figure out how to control my water weight and gain a couple more percentage points over the next few weeks.