Wish Me Luck

becky

Hey all,

I have my first job interview tomorrow in about four years! i'm so nervous, i've been and bought a new suit because i didn't have anything suitable to wear, just simple black with black shoes and a bright red blouse! I can't believe i have an interview, it's for data entry and i emailed my c.v. and they called me back in half an hour to have an interview tomorrow! sorry if i'm rambling i'm a little excited. i can't believehow much better i've been without medication. so fingers crossed guys!

i'll update you all tomorrow.

becks x x x

Thanks Sue,

Well good news, I GOT THE JOB! i start either tuesday or wednesday next week, it's full time so it will be hard at first and probably for a couple of months afterwards but the company know all about my illness and they want to do things for me, like get a chair with highsides so if i pass out i don't fall out, and extra breaks for drinks and salt loading.

I had to do a data entry test and i got 96% so i'm very happy with myself.

Going to celebrate with friends this weekend then on monday i have loads of paperwork to fill in to do with benefits, because i won't get the same benefits but i will still get some.

tell you all more next week!

becks x x x

Guest tearose

This is such great news!

Hooray, another good turn of events on the stamina and job front!

Have a great first week and be sure to rest more in the evenings!

best regards, tearose

• 1 month later...

Howdy,

well what a pain in the behind i've had trying to get back to work! the first job fell through completely because they wanted a doctors report saying i am fit for work, well that's absolutely fine, i requested it from my docs and they said fine, pick it up in a week. so i went back and they said that i needed a letter from my employer to get one so i phoned them to get a letter and they said yes we'll send it for you but no luck - nothing has arrived despite lots of phone calls and messages so that's one out of the window. I've applied to loads of places - had two rejections without interviews and i know it's cynical but i can't help wondering if it has anything to do with me declaring my disability or possibly that i haven't worked for three years!

So i applied for seven jobs this week and i've had three first interviews so fingers crossed.

Not sure it helped trying to get a medical report after i had just passed out in their reception and had to lie down for an hour! Oh well you live and learn. Got two more interviews this week all at banks and doing shift work so i can at least sleep late.

In one interview last week the first question i was asked was if i had ever been dismissed from work which as many of you know is exactly what happened last time - i tried to explain that i had but it was because of my condition but the girl on the phone said she had to refer it to their pr department, i felt so bad all day, they called back the next day and i was able to explain myself better and let them know that the decision was overturned in court when i sued successfully for disability discrimination. Apparently that doesn't count as being dismissed so i'm still in the running!

Why is everything so difficult!

becks x x x

Guest tearose

becy,

Sorry the first job didn't materialize but keep that great determination and you will soon be succesful!

Instead of saying you were "dismissed" can you say you left due to the onset of an undiagnosed illness that now is better under control?

The medical issues in the UK seem more complicated than here in US. Here, the physician just rights a letter and you can hand carry it to the employer. I am sorry they make this hard to do for you!

I just wanted to continue to send you support and good luck wishes.

Keep up the high spirits and let us know what is going on.

best regards,

tearose

Thanks for the support Tearose,

You have to declare if you have been dismissed because it is for a bank so they will do a lot of background checks and credit checks etc, if they find out that you didn't leave the job but were asked to leave you are automatically dismissed.

I'm finding it a lot more difficult to get a job now that i have pots then i ever did before, and i'm still not sure if they look and see that you haven't worked for three years and automatically dismiss your application.

I think that your qualifications should speak for themselves. I know that i don't have a degree but i have managed to do my ECDL (european computer driving licence) which is a really great course to do becauseit shows that you have good computer skills and understand how computers work.

I feel a bit downhearted because the whole recruitment process takes so long and really takes it out of you - what do you do when you have brainfog and you are in an interview? i sit there saying "erm? what was i saying? what's that word?"

But i am determined that i will have a job soon - in a large company that can't discriminate and will understand about our condition.

As for the doctors report - they are really bad up here for helping you out. When i asked for a letter saying i need to use a wheelchair from time to time they said that i shouldn't be using a wheelchair at all as i can walk, not any mention of the danger of just hitting the deck at any time he said i'd become lazy and use it all the time. after half an hour of arguing with him i finally got a handwritten doctors scrawl, saying exactly, Rebecca occasionaly needs a wheelchair! Thanks doc!

big hugs and thanks for all the support.

becks x x x

p.s. just passed a telephone interview for a bank in leeds with really bad brain fog! if only they could see that i was lying on the floor with my legs in the air!!

Hi Becky,

I can't stop laughing at the thought of you answering serious interview questions with your legs in the air. Did they advertise for a contortionist? I guess that so long as you aren't working on a customer desk it shouldn't matter if you have to do your work upside down or back to front - so long as you have the experience and can produce what they want who cares if you have to lie on the floor to achieve it?

Good luck with the other interviews - I hope that the most suitable job is soon winging its way to you.

Flop

Becks! You are very naughty- I didn't know about any of this! You should have texted me or emailed- I never really look in chit chat! I know you can do it- the job you end up with will definitely be one that was worth the wait!

Best of luck, babes- I know you can do it. POTS doesn't have to stop us succeeding, as I'm always saying! :P GO YOU! We're all right behind you.

Lods of love

Here's my latest installment,

i now have five interviews this week, all for banks in leeds, these are face to face ones with tests! ARRGH! i have pre- warned all companies that i will not be standing up and i will be eating and drinking through the interview - the last thing i need is an attack of the shakes.

So far so good they have all said if there is anything i need to just let them know, so i feel a little more relaxed and hey, i must have done something right to get through the first interviews although good job they can't see me, lying on the floor waving my arms about like a mad woman trying to gesticulate the word i can't remember!!

Just said in a phone interview when talking about targets " oh yes i like it when you have high targets to, you know, aim for and er whats that word? begins with an A? hmm, hang on a minute - ah - Attain that's the one" the woman on the phone ws laughing at me! yes very funny for you.

Right have to run and find compression tights and a map!

Thanks for all the support and don't worry flop not going anywhere near a customer desk, as long as they can't see i'm cadaver grey on the floor there'll be no problem!!

Persephone, i'll try give you a bell later.

love and hugs

becks x x x

Guest tearose

What is the latest on the job search becky?

Any good follow up interviews?

Are you able to get the things you need?

I know it is a long process to get the right job. I was reading recently that the average good career move takes between six and twelve months!!!

hang in there,

tearose

Hi Guys,

quickly cos i'm very tired! latest news is that i have a job working for HBoS (Halifax, bank of scotland group) in one of their call centres and i started my four weeks training today so i'm shattered - so far so good, they are really good about me having pots and anything that they can do they will do for me which makes me feel better.

I'll post more tomorrow or later this week.

Thanks for all the support.

becks x x x

Guest tearose

Hooray becks! HBoS sounds like a very solid job! And customer service call center sounds excellent! Four weeks of training too. That is a great start.

I hope this is everything you want in a job. Please take especially good care of yourself as you adjust to the new strains of this job in your life.

Do celebrate when you get that first paycheck!!!!

keep us posted on how you are adjusting.

best regards,

tearose