Water Jogging

stampingamy

Hi. My neurologist wants me to try water jogging. Thankfully I am able to exercise, but he thinks doing this will help improve my circulation for longer periods. I have seen it on several handouts on dealing with POTS. Apparently the water surrounding you helps in a way that just moving on land doesn't. I have the handout and the description as to why it works in my medical file, but that is in another room and I don't have the energy to get up and get it right now. I don't enjoy stuff like that and can't listen to my iPod while if I am in the water! I feel like I am exercising on land when I am able and just don't have the time or energy to do another thing, especially one I won't enjoy.

Have any of you tried it? What were the results?

Thanks and Happy Days,

Amy

Guest tearose

I haven't tried water jogging. I don't do well in the water. I get too cold and my fingers and toes start turning blue! :huh:

I do recall reading that water exercise is less stressing on the body.

Are you going to try some to see if it helps you?

best wishes, tearose

Hi,

I worked with a personal trainer for a few weeks who was also a physical therapist specializing in water rehabilitation. She worked with stroke and injury victims. We did lots of exercises in the water with a flotation belt, including jogging. Unfortunately she moved out of town shortly after we started working together. I did find the exercises tremendously helpful and perfect for POTS. Although I have moderate POTS, exercising sends my symptoms into a frenzy. I wasn't able to do regular cardio for the longest time. I could make it through the workout sometimes, but I would feel sick the next day and the sick feeling would last for days. I couldn't manage this while holding down a job. However, I've been able to build up to doing cardio without making me sick. It took me about 1 1/2 years to go from riding a bike for 5 min to working out for 45 min on the ellipitcal machine. I think the water exercises were a helpful step for me and I was sorry I couldn't continue. If you can't get to the water, I would highly recommend pilates instead.

By the way, I also tried an underwater treadmill last year while on vacation. I really liked it and wish I had access to one at home.

I've done it while in Mexico--they offer it every day at our hotel. It's one exercise that doesn't leave me feeling like I've been hit by a truck afterward... other types of aerobics can kill me. I do use my recumbent stationary bike, but after a few days of doing the same thing, my knees kill me, which isn't the case after a week of doing the stuff in the pool.

It might be worth trying, especially if you don't mind being in the water.

Nina

Hi,

I am very new here and new to life with POTS. I am still trying to figure out what is going on etc. I have always been very athletic but had to take a break when the symptoms started. I have been doing a little yoga or walking for the past two weeks. Today I decided to go to the indoor pool and swim. I used the kick board and did some slow swimming for about 20 minutes. My husband kept an eye on me. It felt great and my heart rate did not go up. Four hours later I still feel okay. Will I pay later? I will let you know!

I have tried water aerobics for almost 2 years on and off and highly recommend it. It tends to attract a lot of seniors but that is about my speed anymore (on a good day). I don't know where I read it ( I think it was the chronic fatigue website Prohealth) but one of their articles noted that bouncing in water helped with the dysautonomic symptoms of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I bought water aerobic sneakers (Ryka brand) and wearing them for the classes really helps with being able to do some bouncing in the water. I almost feel back to normal for a short while after the class is over--more importantly I am able to do something aerobic and prevent deconditioning from lying around so much. Martha