Learned Coping Behavior

pat57

has anyone else experanced a feeling of wellness when engaging in fierce physical activities?

The faster I move, the better I feel. I don't run, I'm not that fit, but I mop and do "heavy labor". When I went back to work I choose a job with constant motion. Standing or sitting- might or might not end in syncope but made me feel poorly.

It's likely you feel better because as you are moving, your lower body muscles are giving your veins an assist in getting blood back to your upper body instead of pooling in your lower extremeties.

I was always in motion when I was a child--except when sleeping. As an adult, before I was diagnosed, I never noticed that I'm constantly pacing when up on my feet, and/or standing on my tip-toes (contracting my calves, which is a well researched counter maneuver to prevent fainting--my body figured that one out on it's own :blink:).

Nina

Most definitely I feel better when I work out! Now I'm restricted by doctors, but before I was diagnosed, I was killing myself at the gym. I'd feel great DURING the workout (heart rate average usually around 200), then I'd pass out in the locker room, or have to sleep the rest of the day. Once I even fell off the eliptical, thus, I'm banned from my gym until I give them a note that I completed cardiac rehab and the doctor recommends my return. Makes for a funny story, but it was scary when I didn't know what I had.

Guest tearose
Yes! I feel great while exercising. Then I die for 3 days afterwards.

:) this is sooo me!

I can move a mountain really, I can! I'll wind up in the valley for the next week but gosh darn it, I moved that mountain!!!

why do I still try to move mountains? the unending desire to believe I am all better and will be able to rise up this time!

I think the best way to keep exercise in my life has been to be willing to change what I do depending on my energy level at that time. I can no longer assume I can do the treadmill faithfully 3x a week, I may only be able to do it once or twice but I must still try to exercise so I may need to get on the floor and do leg lifts on weaker days. The plan is flexible. The times per week are more important to me.

As far as returning to work, I could in no way take a job that required mopping or standing and moving. I can sit and would just move around a bit. I often twist my legs while sitting or find myself shaking my foot... :blink:

To all those able to exercise, thank god for that! I would just be happy if I could sweep without breaking out in cold sweats, getting ready for bed almost every night, just from washing dinner dishes, i lie down and have to imm. take some nausea med and usually some pain meds. Anyone else have this prior, and if so what is it that gets u to where u can exercise?

I have been unable at this point to even walk any further than around the house, it is frustrating as the doc and my family freaked when i said i wanted to try and walk some, although theyre prob right, i would be sitting on the side of the street.

I am getting so out of shape it makes me feel bad too, so if anyone has any hints, etc, or maybe it is some of my meds, dont know but would love to be able to do some form of exercise

Donna

I hope Morgan doesn't mind me speaking on her behalf, but I'm pretty sure she knows about pheochromocytoma as it's come up here before and she's been around as long as I have... I'm pretty sure they ruled that out for her.

(for those who aren't familiar, pheo involves catecholemine producing tumor(s)).

Nina

The comment by Mighty Mouse about constantly moving is great and so true. I too can't stand still. I used to think I was just fidgety. During my TTT while standing reclined I kept moving my legs. After about 10 minutes the tech said to stop moving my legs. I said "i can't." He asked why, I said "I don't know. I just can't." He said I needed to keep my legs still. Within 2 minutes I fainted.

I found this really interesting. I knew I couldn't hold still, but didn't know that my body had a reason for it and knew it shouldn't hold still.

My neurologist encourages exercising as it helps your circulation and keeps blood from pooling.

Happy Days,

Amy

Thanks Nina and no, I don't mind....pheo is about the only thing they do know how to test for here and even then, it's iffy....but so far my labs have not proved it out.

However, they have no idea about lying and standing cortisol tests and all those things so many have been through. My primary, who talks to everyone he can and looks up everything he can, says the closest he can diagnose me with is baroreflex. It's the pattern I fit into best for symptoms.

He is certain I have a progressive form of dysautonomia, as I am steadily getting worse, so we just go a day at a time.

I was officially put on pureed foods only, yesterday after my latest dilatation (esophageal) ....oh boy. So Hubs got me a magic bullet processer. I think the whole family should share in this delight...what do you guys think? :( yea right.....

Anyway, as I am under 100 pounds now and have no fat or muscles anymore, I think that contibutes to the exercise problems.....no rear or chest either....My pace maker looks like a breast implant :lol: