Ssri Verse Welbutrin Type?

yikespanic

I am in the process of weaning off celexa, mainly because of it's sexual side effects. I am now on Welbutrin XL while still cutting my dose of celexa slowly over several weeks. My question is:

I have known that ssri's help with POTS, it has with mine. Welbutrin isn't a ssri? How does it help and has it been effective for anyone?

Ever since I had to change from the generic celexa (because the company no longer produces it) and changing I have felt worse. I am in the process of writing the company and begging them to make it and tell them how it helped my POTS greatly.

Kim

Hi Kim,

I am on Wellbutrin XL 150 mg daily and it works for me. It has low sexual side effects, etc. It is an MAO inhibitor. I see Dr. Grubb for my POTS and he told me there are three of these types of drugs he likes to use for POTS: Wellbutrin, Effexor, and Cymbalta. They have vasocontriction type action that helps keep the blood from pooling in the lower extremities and back to the heart where we need (or at least decrease the pooling that we POTS pts. experience). It has helped me and it has helped keep my heart rate down.

But Wellbutrin is not for everyone and you will just need to try it out and see how it works for you. There are many alternatives out there.

Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for.

Susan

I had been on Wellbutrin in the past for POTS. I did not have any "negative" side affects... BUT, it didn't "help" my POTS symptoms either. I was eventually just taken off of the med.

I was put on Wellbutrin 100mg. SR daily in July on 2001---and have been on it since. I asked Dr. Grubb why it helps, and he said it makes my body less sensitive to the adrenaline----my chief complaint at the time was hyper adrengic spells. My body was over reacting to my own adrenaline. However my catecholamines are normal-----so I'm not sure what it does----it did help with the over all panic type feelings---but then again I think this started to calm down on it's own---and I ended up developing other POTs related syptoms.

I know I gained 30 pounds on it----Dr. Grubb said it makes people lose weight--------but several other docs have told me it can make you gain weight too. So yes---it can cause some weight loss----but it can also do the opposite.................. :unsure:

Lately I have had a return of hyper adrengic type feelings----(over active sympathetic nervous system)----and lately the wellbutrin doesn't not help this. It's POTS related----but I think the POTS is secondary to my EDS and spine compression. I have blood pooling in legs, arms, and abdomin----despite the wellbutrin. At some point I may go off this. I don't notice any negative side affects other then the weight gain.

Maxine :0)

I've only been on it for a couple of weeks now, and haven't noticed if it has started to work or not? I hope it does. I did just look up some info on it and it's not supposed to be a mao:

Bupropion is a selective catecholamine (dopamine and norepinephrine) reuptake inhibitor. It has only a small effect on serotonin reuptake. It does not inhibit MAO (i.e. is not a MAOI). The antidepressant effect of bupropion is considered to be mediated by its dopaminergic and noradrenergic action.

I have noticed my heart races again since cutting down on the celexa, and I hate that feeling!!!!Especially when I try to go to sleep. It will calm down, then if I need to roll over in bed it starts up again. I hope it works for that.

kim