Blood Draws

lavender

A lot of the time when I have blood drawn from my arm the lab person has trouble keeping the blood flowing. My veins aren't hard to find, but often the flow into the needle gets really faint or stops. they usually make a comment about how strange it is and aren't sure why it's slowing down or stopping, because the needle is in right. Sometimes that have to really work to get the blood they want. Does this happen for any of you? Is it possible this could be POTS related? I wonder if there would be a difference if I layed down for the draw?

I would ask to be layed down and see if that keeps your blood from pooling in the "middle". I would suspect it's a POTS thing. Obviously, we're all different, but in your case, you need to try reclining.

I have a similar thing happen when I've been upright too long. The usual "automatic" blood pressure cuffs cannot find a pulse in my arm.

Hi, Lavender:

If I recall from your previous post, you haven't been officially diagnosed with POTS, yet. If that's the case, you might consider mentioning that to your doctor. It could very well help with your diagnosis. As a layman, it sounds POTS related to me, perhaps because of low blood volume or blood pooling as futurehope mentioned. However, I'd talk to a professional because there are other illnesses that can constrict vasculature that could be the cause - or who knows what else...

Deucy

A lot of the time when I have blood drawn from my arm the lab person has trouble keeping the blood flowing. My veins aren't hard to find, but often the flow into the needle gets really faint or stops. they usually make a comment about how strange it is and aren't sure why it's slowing down or stopping, because the needle is in right. Sometimes that have to really work to get the blood they want. Does this happen for any of you? Is it possible this could be POTS related? I wonder if there would be a difference if I layed down for the draw?

I have exactly the same problem. You couldn?t have described it better. ;)

On my last blood test, blood flow started slowing down and stopped. (and it is not the first time that it happens). They had a hard work trying to get it done and then I started feeling very dizzy and lightheaded. It was the first time I felt so bad. After the test, they helped me to recline with my legs above my head level and asked me to stay there for 5 minutes. As I was feeling lightheaded, first I refused but then I noticed that I could not walk and thought I would faint.

Around 5 minutes later I was feeling better, had breakfast and went back to work.

While I was working I started feeling worse: chest pain, dizziness, lightheaded, nauseas, headache, blurred vission... I was really scared. I phoned my husband but he was miles away and I had no way to go back home. I refused telling it at work, because I do not want them to know my health problems... And I stayed there, trying to cope with it.

I had a litre of Aquarius with me (a sort of Gatorade) and I started drinking it, as it was the only thing that could help me. ... In fact, I drank it all and ate some salty nuts... Plus almost 2 glasses of water.

It took around 4 hours to start feeling better and although I was still dizzy... At the time of going back home, I was fine.

:ph34r:

But it had been really scary.

Should I have gone to the ER?

On the other hand, when it happened, we had no idea about it being related with POTS and did not know about the possibility of having a low blood volume.. I am still waiting to find a cardiologist who knows about POTS and I hope.. Oh, yes, I hope, that in the meantime I do not need to have another blood test done. :D

Love,

Tessa