Gallbladder Surgery

Dawg Tired

I know some others have had this - is there anything I need to beware of?

The surgeon is very good and easy to talk to - I had an EGD yesterday. I had told the surgeon when I saw him in his office that I had really bad veins and IV's frequently have to go in my feet.... When I went into pre-op the nurse blew 2 veins in my arms and tld me that she wasn't allowed to use foot veins - and another nurse heard her and stuck her head around the door - "Oh, is that Gayla? Dr Wolfe said a foot vein is fine for her." - So, I know he listens and that is a big help!

I am still worn out from the scope yesterday - but looking forward to getting the gallbladder out and hoping it will make me feel better!

So, give - anything I need to be especially vigilant of?

Just curious...new to this site. I have POTS but am wondering if a lot of people with POTS have to have their gallbladder out eventually? I am having lots of GI problems in the past few weeks and just had an Ultrasound of my gallbladder today and was put on Prevacid and Bental yesterday to help me out. Don't know my results yet. Just curious.

Thanks

Sfrnklin

Gayla,

Definitely see if you can get loaded with fluid BEFORE you go in for surgery and get an early morning surgery so you don't go in already dehydrated.

You may need extra fluids afterwards as well as make sure to get your electrolytes checked before you leave the hospital...as mine went low and they didn't check and I ended up going back by ambulance...

I would definitely do a search for gallbladder as a topic post b/c there have been so many other good tips that I can't think of right now!!!!!!

I found the things they put on your legs post-surgery that velcro on and pump like stockings really helpful to keep me from passing out!

I do hope you will feel better after surgery...

Emily

They told me I could have clear fluids up to 2 hours before surgery - and "chips and sips" in limited amounts after that... And the surgeon did say he wanted me in early to do some "fluid loading". I really like this surgeon.

Gayla-

I just had my gallbladder out on Nov. 8th and it turned out to be the beginning of a serious motility problem for me. The GB needed to go. It and my liver were covered in adhesions- signs of serious inflammation for years. the biopsy of the GB also showed severe chronic cholecystitis. I woke up from surgery, shaking and shaking. I needed many injections of dilantin to stop. I was in pretty intense pain from the CO- 2 that was pumped in me during surgery. It felt like the same pain the GB had been causing. Despite that, I was able to to home that same day.

From that point on, however, my GI tract pretty much slowed to a point where it was not working. I became obstructed every 7-10 days despite tons of meds for constipation. I was always nauseous and could eat very little. I've lost 20lbs that I wasn't trying to lose. I've been in and out of the hospital since then. I've been Dxed with gastroparesis and am now using eyrthromycin as a prokinetic. It has been a godsend in that it has not only got my tummy moving, but also my bowels. I'm hungry for the first time in months and so grateful to have finally figured this out.

I don't mean to scare you, but wanted to share a rare, but possible, outcome with you. The stress of the GB urgery seems to have shut down my whole GI tract. Those of us with POTS are prone to motility problems anyways. Time will tell whether this is a permanent or temporary change for me.

Fluid loading is a great idea as are the inflatable stockings they put on your legs to pump blood back up to the heart. In recovery, I also remember having a hard time coordinating my burps and hiccups- common for those of us with autonomic issues (especially after they remove the breathing tube.)

I'm just now getting back to normal. I pray your surgery goes much more smoothly. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Hugs-

Julie

Good luck, Gayla. Here are some suggestions:

Fluids, fluids, fluids

Caution against outpatient surgery - fluids, fluids, fluids

Consider getting your appendix out at the same time...I did...my doctor and surgeon agreed that with my condition, I should try to avoid surgery, thus thinking that if I had both out together that maybe appendix surgery in the future could be avoided.

Besure your surgeon is skillful at doing it laporascopically, if that is possible.

I did ok except for the c-difficile infection that I developed shortly thereafter.

Lois

Hi Gayla,

I can not believe that I forgot to put this in my reply to you, but I did! Anyway, my surgery was in the morning and it was already planned that I would stay the night so they could be sure my vital signs weren't doing anything out of the "ordinary." We had to get it approved by the insurance company which was a big pain in the you know what but it was well worth it.

Take Care!

Thanks, everyone!

Well, my surgeon and PCP both are doctors I am very comfortable with - my PCP was picky that I got this surgeon instead of another one I knew because this one is better with laproscopic GB surgery - and now I have met him and actually gone throgh a procedure with him I agree.... He kept me in the procedure room instead of sending me out to recovery after the EGD so I could get extra fluids and be monitored by the 2 nurses that will be in with us when I have the surgery. So, I am going into this feeling really confident with my doctors.

gayla -

you've definitely already had much good advice but for me personally it was helpful to KNOW that i would be staying overnight rather than the normal "wait & see method". my insurance was dealt with my the need being written on a script from my autonomic neuro to my surgeon. thus there was no discussion, though i actually didn't do so well post-surgery & ended up being there 5 days or so such that it wouldn't have been an issue either way. the gallbladder part went fine for me though...it was the rest of my body that wacked out on us.

i'll definitely keep you in my thoughts & prayers come wednesday. it sounds like you have good docs & i hope your event is uneventful & leaves you feeling better....

B) melissa