Argh!! No Coffee....

Dawg Tired

Yep, my coffee maker has given up. I am considering going with a french press - anyone ever tried one of these? I want to hear the good, bad and ugly.

I am looking at a couple on e-bay, since it will be the 3rd before I can buy one.

You can drink coffee? just decaff?

sorry i can't have coffee anymore - gives me terrible tachy and really bad stomach pain!

What is a french press?

i like the coffee machine where you squash the fesh ground coffee dwn and then add it to the machine so the water passes through itinto your cup, italian style i think? did that make any sense at all?

bebsx x x

Dawg

I feel your coffee pain. I have gone thru 3 cheap ones in recent years...they would make good, then bad coffee. NOT consistent temperature.

I went to Jc Penny a couple weeks ago and saw they had a Cooks coffee maker (Fancy digital thing, I just want plain coffee maker but on sale $19,95!!!...came home to read online...it allegedly makes great coffee at consistent temp of 185, I think. I never got back to get it.

Also, my sister swears by a stove top Chemex. I needs something I can just get up and push a button. Been keeping a small maker in my room as I feel terrible last few months. HELPFUL but coffee maker is only 3 months old and acting inconsistent.

THe Chemex DOES MAKE great coffee but if you can hardly stand in the morning...too much of a project. Measuring coffee, putting special hard to find square filter in glass top of pot, Boil water in separate teapot and wait.

Then stand to SLOWLY pour coffee to let the coffee "bloom" ...then add the rest of the water..then wait...to drink the coffee. Zzzzzzz

Great coffee but not a project for non morning persons. :)

I HAVE to have two cups in the AM to get me moving.

I havent' tried a french press...is it electric? I think I didn't want a maker that didn't use a filter because the straight coffee w/o a filter could help raise cholesterol...so I always used filters.

Good luck in your search.

I, too, have to have 2 cups in the morning or I just can't move! regular - not decaf...

The drip coffee makers, in this area, don't last long due to the water.

A french press is like a big glass cup with a plunger that has a filter on the end. You put in your coarse ground coffee then pour hot water on it, let it steep for a few minutes then press the plunger down, trapping the grounds on the bottom. No electric - no long waiting - nothing to wear out....

Ah.................COFFEE............nectar from the gods , rather like water for a duck or grass for a cow. :)

If I didn't have my cup every morning I dont know quite what I'd do, also good when the old ticker starts to SSSS LLLL OOOO WWWW down a good old pick me up.

I drink anything going , instant decaf, full caffeine, fresh......... :huh:

I have one of those plunge things for fresh and a very posh all-in-one espresso , coffee ( in the jug) and cappuccino machines, dont know why but hubby bought it for me last year , its huge and really for a restaurant not a single person.

BUT when , ( ha thats a good one ) when we have people for dinner ............last time 5 years ago !!! When we have people for dinner it could come in handy . :)

I do like my machine but it is rather large for my use.

Willows...........coffee chocolate, coffee cake, coffee biscuits, coffee ice-cream, coffee sweets..........bring it on :blink:

When I can drink hot coffee, I love my Bodum french press. Yummyy!!!

I love the caffetiere for making espresso, but the ones I got from the market in Rome always broke and didn't work well on my parents' glasstop stove. :P

My sister loves her Chemex stove top coffeemaker. But the filters are pricey and can only be found online. It's a project for me to use in the morning... I prepare my pot the night before and just want to push a button.

I happen to be at MY WORST when I wake up. But for morning people. Chemex can be "Fun".

A French Press is a great choice! Coffee tastes amazingly different made this way....it even has a different texture. My husband and I love it!

Please let me know what you think. <_<

Lisa

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my french press.... today is 9 days since it was ordered, I figured it would take 2 weeks or so to get here. When It does I will be giving a full report... since I will be busy experimenting with my new "toy" and, therefore, probably won't be able to sleep!