I Went To The Dentist And Need Work Done

Hi all,

I'm going to call my doctor, but I would feel better to hear from someone who has been there.

I need work done, 7 fillings and one pulled. What do I need to watch for? I'm on Toprol.

Thanks,

Amber

It is a good idea to call your doctor and let them know you are planning a visit to the dentist. I am also on Toprol. I have MVP so my doctor wanted the dentist to give me an antibiotic 1 hour prior to any dental procedures. It may also help to let them know not to recline you back so far. My dentists office knows that about me and I think they dread it when I come...... Good luck, I am sure everything will go fine.

Sorry I don't know the details included in the article but here is an abstract from the Research section of the DINET site. Maybe your dentist has access to the article.

Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome: Dental treatment considerations.

Brooks JK, Francis LA.

Department of Diagnostic Sciences and Pathology, Baltimore College of Dental Surgery, Dental School, University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA. Oralpath5@aol.com

BACKGROUND: Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS) is a chronic, relatively common autonomic disorder typically affecting younger females. It is distinguished by a dramatic increase in heart rate on the assumption of an upright posture from the supine position. METHODS: The authors provide an overview of the demographics, clinical assessment, diagnostic features, differential diagnoses, pathogeneses and medical treatment of patients with POTS, with an emphasis on the clinical treatment of the dental patient affected by the syndrome. CONCLUSION: Patients frequently exhibit symptoms of lightheadedness, fatigue, palpitations and syncope. Patients with POTS may have Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, mitral valve prolapse, chronic fatigue syndrome or, rarely, the Brugada syndrome. Despite widespread dissemination of information regarding POTS in the medical literature, scant information on it has appeared in dental publications. PRACTICE IMPLICATIONS: Dentists need to be familiar with the clinical features of POTS and be prepared to treat patients at risk of developing syncope.

PMID: 16637478 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

ALso make the dental team aware if you have any reactions to epinepherine..they can use a non epi based anesthetic. I had a root canal done last spring and many other teeth fixed..I was very afraid to go for such a long time. BUt you know what I did fine and like I said..think about the non-epi.

Good luck dear..

Bee :)

I dont think you will have any problems with fillings especially if you make them aware that epi is probably not for you .

However I have learned the hard way that having a tooth out can be more of a problem for us with autonomic problems. I had a bothersome tooth pulled out 6 weeks ago and have had a dry socket and infections(2 antibiotics) and it is still not healed .... still have an open wound with dressings in it in my mouth making eating and drinking a chore...and you know how much we all need to drink!

My dentist was very puzzled as to why but my autonomic doc was not at all surprised..he said I will take twice as long to heal as anyone else and that getting infection is due to my disordered saliva production.

Never again will I have a tooth out!

Hope your experience is not like mine!

Margaret.

Thanks, you guys were much more help then my doctors office!

I didn't even say who I was when I called (not that I think it would make a difference) but I mentioned that I needed work done for my teeth and needed to know if there was anything I needed to be aware of or if there was anything the dentist needed to know.

Well. :D The person I talked to said they don't get involved with dental. That the dentist would know what to do. :)

I guess in some cases that would ok, but I feel that my doctor should know about it. Maybe I'm blowing it out of porportion but it makes me mad that she would advise me without reading my chart or talking with my doctor.

I don't know what I would do without the support you all offer!

Thanks,

Amber

Hi Amber,

Last year I tried a dentist that puts you under to do dental work. I had 1 molar pulled out, two cavities filled, and had my teeth cleaned. I believe they called it a "twilight" I was out, but not completely.

I also have to take antibiotics an hour before, and slept two days after :P But worked out in the long run for myself.. Hope that helps

((Hugs))

Sue

Hi Amber! I just had some major dental work done...3 root canals with 3 crowns...and I got through it just fine. You may want to do a search of this site using "dentist"...we had a great discussion not long ago!

If you have MVP you will need antibiotics prior to the dental work...or even a dental cleaning. You also may want to stay away from numbing agents that utilize epi as others have already said. Simply tell the dentist you can't have epi. and they'll use something else..probably Carbocaine. The only difference is that the Carbocaine doesn't last as long...only 30 minutes or so.

I took advantage of DINET's info. brocures and brought one with me to the dentist along with my doctors contact info. in case he had any questions. I really lucked out with the endodontist that did my root canals b/c he was actually a bit familiar with dysautonomia..turns out his wife has MVPS! So, I felt really comfortable with him.

I know how you feel...I was soooo worried about going...I had so much work that I needed and I just kept putting it off out of fear...I really wish that I hadn't waited so long b/c it turns out that it wasn't bad at all!! The worse part is definatly the anticipation...once you get in there and start getting the work done you'll feel so much better. :P

Good luck..let us know how it goes!

Thanks again!

One of the girls mentioned that they don't use Epi on anyone who has any changes in heart rate. So that makes me feel better.

Amber

The non epi meds don't last as long so be sure to let them know if you feel any pain.

I have had the nose gas with no problems.

Once in awhile sitting back for too long makes me light headed when I get up, just like getting up in the AM so if you may want a ride home instead of driving yourself.

I noticed I got really dizzy just from the exam, plus because I was nervous I'm sure it didn't help things. I felt like I was going to vomit after all was over and I was ready to go home.

I know I will need a ride home when I actually get work done.

Thanks