How Do You Shop For Your Kids If Stores Make You Feel Very Symptomatic?

DSM3KIDZ

Okay, I trust my husband to do the grocery shopping...................but cloths, christmas, gifts and everything else I don't trust his style. I pick out his cloths for him.

I have 3 kids that are always growing out of cloths, shoes and seem to constantly need something for a birthday or school. How to you mothers get all the shopping/errands done?

I know I can do some online shopping for toys and such but cloths are to hard because nothing seems to fit the kids right without trying them on.

Also for christmas and stuff I really like to see and explore what I'm buying so online shopping you never really know what to get unless you have already seen it. So that's hard because I don't want to waste money on crap.

I have my daughters birthday coming up Oct 5 and I need to figure out how I'm going to get her gifts and party supplies without entering too many stores and it all needs to be done real quick to help control symptoms. She also wants cloths which makes it even harder.

Any suggestions?

Too many errands........feeling to crappy to do them. I have a wedding Fri. and the boys still need cloths and my brother just had a baby so I need to go to the HOSPITAL (yuck)! I can't miss these events, they are real important to me. I'm also not physically bad enough to use a wheelchair (as long as I avoid stores) so I don't think that's an option at this point.

Dayna

Dayna,

before i admitted myself that i was "bad" enough to use a wheelchair i was missing a lot of the fun. i couldn't go shopping anymore, not even buy just one bread. so i started usingn the wheelchair when i didn't want my husband to do all this by himself. i mean buying the kids their clothes and even buying ME new underwear (at that point i knew something had to happen :unsure: ). he couldn't work 40 hours a week in a very stressful job AND do EVERYTHING around the house AND buy the kids their clothes and take them on fun trips etc.

so i rented a wheelchair and we went out of our own village to buy the kids clothes and shoes and we went to do fun things with the kids with me in my wheelchair. my husband was very glad that i came with him to help advise and to have fun as a family. once i got used to the wheelchair (and my family was!!!) i got one myself and was part of "" us" again.

if you're not up to using a wheelchair (yet) you could ask your husband (or a friend) to join you to the store, colelct clothes and while you are seated you could help the kids fitting the clothes and your husband/friend could go back to get the right seize (if needed).

it's just how i did it and it really helped all of us!

good luck,

corina :ph34r:

You could always look at clothes online at the store you plan to go to.

That way you can figure out what they have before you even go there. It helps to write the prices down and the clothing/item. If you know what you want and you know the store has the items then it saves time.

Best of luck

Amber

The only way I can do shopping is with an electric cart or have my husband push me in my transport chair. The transport chair is very lightweight and easy to get in and out of the car. Most malls have the electric cart as well. I use my pretty purple walker for short trips to pharmacy or speciality stores that are not too big.

It took a while to get use to people looking at me. I don't really think they were looking, it was me. I got a handycap hang tag for my car and now I can park close.

Also, have a friend or family member take you shopping. They should be more than happy to help.

Lori

transportchair.jpg

I'm going to be honest with all of you. I am completely scared to death to be in a wheel chair. I have no idea why. When I saw the last post of the picture of the wheel chair I started crying. I don't know what my fears are. I know if it get to the point where I can't enjoy things with my family...............I'll definitely put them ahead of my fears and get one so I can still enjoy family events but for now the only thing that is really hard is shopping. I guess I'll just go with my mom or something or give her a list or have her take my kids shopping. She is always shopping and when I asked her if she would help me she said she'd help me when she can.

I can't put anymore responsibilities on my husband. He's a firefighter and switched his schedule so he only works Sat 8am to Mon 8am. I know that's a long shift but than he's home all week to be with me and the kids and to help with the little girl we babysit.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and I admire all of you.

Dayna

Dayna,

Do you have a Target nearby or a Costco? I would suggest a place like this because you should be able to find everything in the same store. That eliminates the need to stop at different stores. Prices are fair, workers are treated pretty well at both stores, and they do have the motorized carts available if you need one.

I would try and arrange to leave your kids at home when you shop, or at least bring a friend or relative to help watch them.

I also get sickened by shopping for whatever reason -- always have -- and try to do as much online as I can.

Amy

Dayna,

I have a strong emotional reaction to the idea of a wheelchair, too. I know it might broaden my life, like letting me go to the local art festival, or letting me go to a park or public garden, but I guess it feels like I'd be admitting I'm not normal, or that this isn't a temporary condition. Besides, I'd feel guilty, because I am physically able to walk around quite a bit, I just feel awful while I'm doing it. Same issues go for using the electric carts at the grocery store or getting a handicapped permit.

Here's hoping we can sort out the emotional baggage and just figure out what makes sense.

Spike

I feel for you. I have 3 kids also. Luckily the older 2 are teenagers so I just get them to do their own. It stops all the arguments also! For my 10 year old, I tend to work out what I want, go straight to the store (something big like Target with a good range), don't browse, just select very quickly and only stay for a maximum of 20 mins. Then if anything doesn't fit (often!), then I get my husband to return and get the right size. This way he doesn't have to think about it what to buy. I make sure that the store is OK with returns, so there is no problem.

Shoes - tough one. I would take someone, or send hubby if possible.

Try and go in quiet times. I hate the noise, lights etc but can endure it if I rest before and after etc.

I am not yet ready for a wheelchair or cart. Is it pride? I am just trying to pretend I am still normal. Ha ha!

Good luck, let us know how you go.

Suz