Beta Blockers

yogini

I had another low grade fever yesterday and was feeling pretty POTSy. Normally I'd have ignored it, but I had to go somewhere last night. When Tylenol didn't work (which it usually does), I tried taking a little extra beta blocker even though my HR was normal. A couple of hrs later, I magically felt better and the fever had disappeared. I think this explains my low grade fevers in the afternoon, because I take my BB in the morning and it must wear off by the end of the day. I have also noticed more low grade fevers since cutting my BB dose in half. They must somehow help to regulate my body temperature. I tried researching this on the web, but didn't find anything. I was wondering whether any of you knew about this or have noticed that betas help?

-Rita

I'm not sure? But I do know that the Toprol XL makes my hands and feet cold. I looked up the side affects and it said that it was in fact a side affect. I looked it up under WebMD....they have a place where you can look up meds, side affects, use, warnings, that sort of thing.

Good luck,

Amber

Maybe the BB just reined in the high-adrenaline output (which can make you feel warm)? I usually find that when I take BBs, my feet and hands are a lot colder b/c they restrict flow to the limbs. But I don't notice a bodywide effect.

Amy

I did check a few of the drug info websites, which didn't seem to say anything one way or another. Maybe it's just me but the beta blocker does seem to help. Amy, I think you're right - my body probably overheats due to excess adrenaline, which the BB stops. I guess I'll just have to live with it for now...