Nightmares

Guest dionna

Guest dionna

i don't remember when the nightmares started i just know that i have them every night. they are always so violent (rape or murder or war) and sometimes i wake up screaming for help or calling out someone's name to come rescue me or someone else. should i bring it up to the doctors? and if so what doctor do i bring it up to? perhaps the nightmares waking me up could be making my symptoms worse by me not getting enough restful sleep. any ideas? thank you all for any replys.

dionna :)

Dionna,

Wow thay sounds rough!! I was going to suggest it could be a medication you're taking but I see that you are currently med free. I would definately bring it up with your doctor...I think any doc. that you trust should be fine. I would expect that they might order a sleep eval. if you haven't already had one and possibly a psych. eval. I don't say that to scare you or imply in ANY way that this is "all in your head"...but if a sleep study shows nothing unusual a psychologist may be able to figure out what's going on. Psych.'s study sleep and sleep patterns..that's actually where I learned about sleep disorders and the stages of sleep...in psychology class!

As far as this effecting your POTS symptoms it sounds like it definately could. Even when people with "normal" ANS function experience sleep problems it can effect their day to day lives. In any case...I hope you find some answers and some much needed relief soon!! :)

I have horrible nightmares as well. I brought it up to my therapist and he said that fighting a chronic illness is a lot for the subconscious to work through, and that he's had many patients with chronic illnesses who also have chronic nightmares...not that that helps at all, but at least it made me feel like I wasn't alone.

I hope you start having sweet dreams :)

My husband has always been a vivid and ACTIVE dreamer - not always nightmares but always very intense with lots of movement. I have noticed that his night movement has decreased significantly since starting the CPAP treatment for sleep apnea in the beginning of July. He does still have some intense dreams and with those he will move around (mostly trying to run from or catch someone in the dream.) but they are much less frequent now.

Dionna,

I get nightmares and vivid dreams, although my meds may well be helping cause this. I always wondered if the really bad nightmares were reactions to POTs problems ? the fast heart beat etc.. But I don?t know.

I don?t know if this has any effect in your case, but my nightmares seem to happen more with heat, so taking off blankets, putting on a fan or air-conditioning seem to help (I don?t know if heat causes the nightmares or my system just over-heats itself, but cooling myself down lessens the chance of my having nightmares). For this reason I always go to sleep a bit cold and throw off more and more covers if I wake in the night.

I don?t know if this would be of any help in your case.

Cath

I'm a very active dreamer. Sometimes nightmares, most of the time just really long dreams and I wake up feeling like I was just a part of a very weird movie. If they are real intense or nightmares I usually wake up surging with a pounding and fast heart rate. It usually goes away once I wake up more and drink some water.

I definitely feel like it takes more out of me. Even when I don't wake up from a dream, I feel like I didn't get a restful amount of sleep because my mind was running all night long. You definitely aren't alone!

It wouldn't hurt to bring it up to a doctor.

Well, the adrenaline caused by waking up from a bad dream can certainly kick your dysautonomia sxs in overdrive. As can being awakened suddenly (child crying, phone, etc.) Many people on Florinef have extremely lucid (realistic and oftentimes, scary) dreams acoording to me cardiologist. But, I see you are not on meds.

Being chronically ill is stressful, mentally and physically. Your body doesn't forget you are sick when you are asleep. Sometimes, the anxiety we feel about our illnesses and other life issues does in fact come out in our dreams. This is one case when the doctors say something is "anxiety related" they are probably right.

So, having said that it is likely that if you mention this to your doctor (which you should do if it is disrupting your life- meaning the dreams are disrupting your sleep and rest)he will either suggest psychotropic drugs and/or therapy. Also, reducing stimulation (violent or stressful tv programs, stressful conversations,books, etc.- and caffeine) prior to bed might help as well. Pursue this with your doctor- a general practitioner may be able to help or refer you. May you have much more restful nights ahead!

Carmen

Guest dionna

i just wanted to thank you all. next time i go to the doc i will mention it and see what happens. good night and sweet dreams to you all for tonight and every night. :)

dionna :(