Stubborn Husband Soften Up!

Babettegall

Hi Guys!

Just a quick note to tell all of you that I've gotten a dog! He is a 5yr old corgi/retriever mix, who I named "Donnie".

After I posted and received all the support and encouragement from you very special people in my life, I went ahead and had that important "heart to heart" with my husband.

I was very relieved when the conversation had gone in my favor, so to speak. I did my research and decided that the logical choice for me was to head to a rescue organization to seek out my new companion.

From behind the cold steel doors of the damp loud facility, I saw my little "prince Donnie". He was shaking, malnurished and scared by all the barking the other dogs were making. When we made eye contact, it was a no brainer for me........... HE'S THE ONE!

After an immediate trip to the vet and the store for his necessities, we got home and settled. He was already housebroken, so it was a fairly easy adjustment for him.

Now....... on the other hand......... I have been extremely tired by trying to keep on top of the dog at every waking moment. I know that my husband supported my getting the little guy, but he won't tolerate excessive barking or having the dog come running toward him when he gets home from work. So, until the actual routine is established, I'll be running on 'fumes' for a while.

I tried to take Donnie for a walk the other day, but only made it about 4 houses down from our own, and had to turn back. He would have gladly gone further, but I just couldn't physically do any more than that. My legs hurt so badly and I was more fatigued than ever for the next two days! So, now my daughters take him on his daily walks and I go as far as picking up his poop in the yard.

If I remember to get some batteries for my camera, I'll take a picture and share with all of you just how cute my "boy" is! Of course I'm a bit bias :unsure:

Thanks for listening and offering up your kind words and support when I needed them.

Hugs to all of you!

I am so happy for you. I love my boys!! (Bandit, cocker spaniel Buddy, big yellow lab)

I can't walk them very much either, but I do sit in the backyard and play catch with them!! Great excercise and they love it!! they also love to be brushed out, love the extra attention :)

Enjoy him as I'm sure he will enjoy you and your husband!!

((Hugs))

Sue

Through this condition I have thought that a dog would be nice to have. Don't know if I would be able to convince my husband. But, if I could I would want to adopt one of the racing Grey Hounds. I had seen them at a near by mall and have known people who have adopted them and everyone says they make wonderful pets.

Glad Donnie has found a good home and I am sure he has done you much good also.

Thanks so much for your responses, guys!

Anyone have any ideas as to how I can get him to stop barking at night? He seems to bark at every little noise he hears, which really upsets and wakes up both my husband and myself.

Last night was a tough night due to the barking......... I just can't seem to get him to stop. He sleeps in our bedroom on the floor, and has free reign to roam the house whenever he wants. Unfortunately, he tends to want to stay in the bedroom, or the top of the stairs and bark his little head off!

It's definately not a "potty" thing, or hunger thing or anything else that I can think of. I'm looking in to purchasing one of those citronella bark collars for him, if this behavior doesn't change (and change quickly)!

Any thoughts or advise?

Our cocker barked quite a bit when we first moved, (a year ago), new house, new surroundings, different noises. Your little guy is going from his little cage to your house, which is probley like a mansion to him :D Anyway our dogs sleep in our room so we just kept the door shut for a couple of weeks, lessoning the noise a little and kept them in one place. when they would bark we would just let them know everything is ok. I even put dog treats under my pillow when going to bed because our cocker is very skiddish and would pace before laying down. This way he got tired of waiting for it and fell asleep!!

Another thought, if your dog was at the shelter for a while, he may actually miss his cage. Both of our dogs were kennel trained. You may want to try and put him in his kennel for the night with a blanket or fav. toy??

We keep them in the basement, our cocker isn't thrilled with his, but our lab doesn't like when we have a lot of company and naps during the day in his!!!

Good luck

((Hugs))

Sue

I'm sooooooooooooooooo pleased for you , see I said hubby needed a talk and am happy that he saw though his fear of another dog to be able to let you have such happiness on four legs a waggy tail and a cold nose.

My Goldie barked a lot when he came home from the rescue kennels , it seemed he was worried that if anyone came into the house ( every sound , every move in bed , it drove us mad) she thought that A. they would take me .B they would take her back to the kennels.

I to used a kids water pistol at first, but lots of love , cuddles and kind words helped and she soon settled down.

Unfortuantely while she was going through this barking stage hubby , who sleep talks, walks, and dances kept barking back at her :( so some nights I'd have Goldie barking .......hubby replying .....Goldie running in the bedroom looking for this intruder , sniffing and jumping on the bed...........hubby hearing Goldie charging around would , STILL ASLEEP sit bolt upright and throw a ball shouting 'fetch, fetch' at her :(

Now, you try telling a two year old crazy dog in the middle of the night , in the semi-dark ,who is intent on finding this ball 'come what may ' to bring it back to the love of her life ' there isn't one' :( would she believe me ???? :(

In the end as soon as hubby started to bark I'd whack him around the head with a soft joy I kept on the bedside table to shut him up .

Sometimes I'd whack him a bit to hard and he'd wake up going ' what, what ' all innocent like .....................me ? :blink: I'd just pretend I was asleep :(

I do miss the hubby + dog midnight antics and would love another dog , but not yet, I need to get over the loss of ' my girl ' still.

Willows.

So glad you were able to get your new family member and provide a loving home for a pet in need. I think much has been said for tips. I agree that Donnie is making a major adjustment right now and it may take awhile, but hopefully he comes around. The barking can be tough, mine never barked for years and now that they are aging, bark with every little noise. Tough, because you want them to alert you, but not drive your ears crazy!!!

Hope you can work it all out. Do you have an area where you can put a run for exercise and to sit and play, so you don't have to walk him, but can still be out together?

Well good luck to you!!

Hi

Glad you got a rescued dog and hope you can READ about socializing the dog...it's normal for him to be a bit barky in a NEW setting and I hope your husband will cut the dog some slack. Reassure the dog he is SAFE.

THAT SAID, please do read on socializing dogs (i have done scads of that with cats living in a multicat household)

A professional tip my sister got years ago about dogs and disciipline. Rather than a squirt bottle do this:

Take empty pop can, rinse and blow dry the inside. Fill with several tiny screws and bolts OR pennies. Put in enough so that when you rattle it, it makes a lot of noise. Put tape over the top. THEN teach your dog what "No" means. This should be done gently and with rewards.

THEN shake the can and say NO. This can cure excess barking or jumping on people. The animals hate the noise and finally learn that if after you say no in a firm voice (Not yelling but strong and firm) that the 'noise will come next.'

This was very helpful to my sister and eventually her dog learned hand signals. Professional trainers are worth their weight in gold PROVIDED THEY ARE KIND AND OFFER REWARDS,

The dog whisperer famous on TV is not that nice a guy imo and I like gentler ways of dealinig with pets.

Good luck with your dog and try the no command and coin can trick. Better than wet spots all over the house too and can work from the next room. We have about 4 coin cans around the house in case two that don't get a long, get out from the different house parts they are herded in throughout the day.

<_<

I feel like a brute! I did first try the can & coin thing but it didn't work for my excessive barking dog. I even had one trainer buy one of those little whoopee buzzers, a small thing you wind up and hold in the palm of your hand and when my dog would bark or get out of control I would have to buzz him in the behind. just to startle him and break his chain of concentration. It was a challenge but totally ineffective with my dog. I went to numerous classes, hired numerous trainers, had my dog spend several weeks with another trainer and even hand one come to my house. After a few spritzes with the water he learned what "no bark" meant and we lived happily ever after. I believe the key is finding what works quickly and humanely with your dog.

We currently have two dogs -an airedale named Jackson and a welsh terrier named Belle that our neighbors all call mini-me because she looks like a smaller version of the airedale. They are a hoot and their antics are the best medicine for my hubby when he is feeling low.

Congratulations on getting your pet!

Congratulations on rescuing a doggie! How wonderful!!!

Sue might be right about him missing his cage... he might feel more safe and protected in a smaller, warm, comfy area with a blankie and a favorite toy instead of having the whole house to run and explore. He might be in sensory-overload.

Also, maybe try a noise machine or some kind of air cleaner machine (that makes noise) at night? That could help drown out noises and calm your dog so you can all get much needed rest!

-Rachel

• 2 weeks later...