Standing Pulse

So, I've had my standing pulse taken on a number of different occasions since having POTS and for the last year, it has come out to be around 90 beats per min. When I was initially diagnosed, it was 150 on tilt. Last year at Mayo is was, again, around 90- so we all thought that I was getting better right? This was actually distressing, because I still feel like crap and a few MDs said that I don't have POTS anymore.

Well, I had to go off all meds for 48 hours for a Gastric Emptying Test. It was horrible, but while I was there and off everything, I had the cardiac center run an EKG after standing 10 minutes. Ta Da! 148 beats per minute and I got it printed.

I just wanted you guys to know in case you are on what I'm on (see below)- your tilt table or standing pulse rate results can be altered by these medicines. At least, in my case they were dramatically. I guess that is why they make us feel better, but not totally mended.

Maybe everyone knew this, but Wow- it was new to me!

Guest dionna

i'm glad that the meds are working for you. i hope that they continue to do so and you can live atleast a somewhat "normal" life. congratulations.

dionna :wub:

I noticed that you mentioned "trying exercise" for treatment. I'm still figuring out my situation regarding POTS - I get lightheaded but never any syncope. One thing that really surprised me is my heart rate delta has gone from consistently around 50 BPM (with a systolic BP delta sometimes around -20, -30 mmHg) down to 28 BPM over the last few weeks since doing about 2-3 hrs exercise a week. Fatigue has ameliorated too (which I already knew it would but had forgotten again!). ...Still learning.

Guest Julia59

I guess that is why Dr. Grubb still diagnosed the POTS after a "normal" tilt table.

My pulse did go up 30 BPM---but it took a while----I was on beta blockers. I was just too unstable to go off them----I would have ended up in the hospital. My BP also went down. Could you imagine what my pulse would have been off the BB-----if I still get tachy on them............ B)

Julie :0)

I am glad they where albe to get it on a EKG for you. I know its so hard some times when they say you are doing better and still feel so bad! I hope things will get better for you, and that them know you still have POTS they will be able to treat you, and able to start feeling better!