Massages Help Symptoms?

Tammy

Hi -

I'm just curious if anyone gets some relief from their symptoms with a massage? I've had massages twice and it seems like it helps so much... but I can't figure out why this would help my symptoms. Sounds kind of weird, but it really seems to help some...

Has anyone else had this experience and if so, any ideas why it helps?

- Tammy

Do you mean strictly with POTS symptoms? My guess would be because it improves circulation. Pain-wise, it can be great, too!

Maybe because massages relieve stress and I think that stress reduction can relieve how severe our symptoms can get...? I'm just guessing....

I am a massage therapist and can tell you the greatest benefit of massage is that it calms the nervous system. BP is reduced (but since you're lying down, you probably don't notice), heart rate slows, breathing becomes more natural and slower, and digestion improves (aka increased movement through digestive tract). In addition, you can experience improved circulation (temporarily) due to the long, gliding strokes used in massage and the movement of fluid in the body, and reduction in muscle stiffness and pain.

Some people here feel just awful after a massage, too. If it helps you, that's great.

Amy

Guest dionna

helps with all my knots, pains, aches, circulation, and helps to relieve stress. but i also agree about the being careful of standing afterwards. so yeah i think they help. plus i just like them anyway.

dionna :wub: