Neuro. Symptoms

Hi all,

Could use some advice. For the last several months I have been experiencing decreased sensation in my hands and feet. It seems to be getting worse. I can still feel most things, but it's happening enough that I am concerned that something is wrong. At the same time, I am having reduced taste and smell as well. Again, not horrible, but enough to worry me.

Does anyone here experience these symptoms but have no other diagnosis or explanation for them? So far I have had my glucose checked (to be sure I do not have diabetes) and been told to "keep an eye on things." I think I am going to ask for my vitamin levels and electrolyte levels to be checked. What else should I ask for?

I would rather not get an EMG, because I had one just a year and a half ago, for another problem. But maybe that's necessary?

Amy

hi amy,

i am sorry that you are having these sensations. i can't actually help you as i'm not very familiar with neurological testing. i was thinking of vitamins as you already mentioned yourself. maybe someone else can give you more advice?

in the mean time i hope that you can hold on. did you make an appointment with your doc yet?

corina :)

hi

What I've found with neuros is that not every neuro is familiar with every condition enough to properly evaluate. For example, for diseases involving muscles, a general neuro will probably not make a diagnosis. If you feel uncomfortable that your doctor is missing something you may need to see someone else.

EMG's are horrible, but sometimes it's the only way. It helped me last time that the doctor explained me what was going on while he was doing it. The first emg I had done was by someone who may as well have been frankenstein's creator.

good luck! diagnostic limbo is so exhausting

ariella

I'd say an EMG. However, EMG's are only able to pick up pronounced neuropathy. My EMG's always come back normal, but I fail sweat tests. If you can get a sweat test done, I'd reccomend that because it can pick up smaller neuropathies. They can also take tissue samples to pick up these neuropaties as well, but those are (I'd imagine) far less pleasant.

Good Luck, and let us know how it goes!

Hugs,

Lauren

Guest tearose

I only wish the tests were out there to explain these symptoms that I too get Amy!

I don't want to endure any more EMG's either.

I have had more of the numbness and tingling in my arms and hands. I even have dropped things (like my laptop) without even understanding how I lost my grip. It was scarey. I do notice I can also "trip" easily when fatigued although I am not having numbness. I have left sided facial numbness at times. I hate it!

My MRI's didn't show problems in the brain...thank goodness. I was found to have some shifting and minor bulging of discs though. PT really did help the arms and hands.

My pcp consulting with the neuro said...it is called neuritis and is probably related to the dysfunctioning ANS. My pcp said Mayo would be more likely to have better testing and if I wanted to go back out there to let him know. In the meantime he offered neurontin if I wanted to try...I did not though. I do find that it is one of those waxing and waning numbness and tingling feelings. I think the one in my face is the most annoying!

I thought it worth mentioning that I think I inadvertently bring on some spine issues. If I am feeling weak and I am walking, I have a natural tendency to bend forward to help keep me from feeling dizzy or lightheaded. This adds a curve to my posture, like an old woman kinda, and pulls the nerves around the c-spine and t-spine. I learned how to bend from my waist now and it has helped with both my posture and my numbness.

feel better, tearose

Hi Amy,

I have the same symptoms...I had a brain MRI which came back normal. I go to see my cardio Monday and I think he wants me to get a few tests done. I'll mention this symptom to him and see what he says....Anyhow, if you think you may need a 2nd opinion def. get one! :)

I have had a lot of neuro issues as well. The EMG's and MRI's both came back normal, however when I went to see an immunologist, he felt I was developing a neropathy. I think laurens suggestion about the sweat test may be a good idea.

Good Luck, I know how scary this can be. My left leg was dragging in Feb, but I am glad to say it is working much better now.

Rhonda

Guest tearose

Amy, are you aware that Nina also has problems with smell and taste...so do I.

Nina is going to do a day of testing in a few weeks and I thought I'd mention this to you. I am waiting to hear what they do and if she thinks there are ways of dx and treating these issues. Maybe she will have information that will help you and me to improve this.

take care, tearose

Thanks for all the input. Tearose, I have been following Nina's taste/smell issues. I still have some taste and smell, but it's definitely blunted. As a result, I have gained nearly 10 pounds recently -- I think because I am eating more to compensate for the lack of fulfillment with food.

Anyway, I have had an MRI (about a year ago) and it was normal. The only thing noted was a full pituitary gland, whatever that means. But not enlarged enough for further testing. I had an EMG two years ago. I think I am going to do nothing, mainly because I don't think there's any treatment for neuropathy, so what's the point?!

Thanks for the ideas. I'll try to be patient and happy with the fact that I can still function somewhat normally.

Amy