Rheumatoid Arthritis

My husband has been complaining of "bone pain" in both elbows, forearms and wrists so the Dr. ran some blood tests and did x-rays and the tests came back with an elevated Rheumatoid Factor (RF) level. Fortunately the x-rays were all normal but we now have a consultation with a Rheumatologist in a couple of weeks. He will also be getting more blood tests done this week. He also has elevated MCH and Monocytes.

I am just starting to learn about Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA). I am hoping to hear from some of you that your RF factor was elevated but you do not actually have the disease or that it has not progressed for many years.

I am so bummed - this disorder just seems to lie in wait until it decides to pile on a new symptom.

My aunt has RA. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but from my understanding, if your husband has an elevated RF level, he has Rhumatoid Arthritis. His x-rays may have been normal because the disease hasn't progressed enough to show marked damage.

The good news is this diagnosis isn't a death sentence, and RA is fairly treatable nowadays.

The Rhumatologist will be able to help, let us know what the answer is.

Hugs,

lauren

Yes, they think they caught it very early which is a good thing as it appears the medical community has changed their thinking on treatment. They used to wait until the RA had progressed before aggressively treating but now they start as soon as it is discovered.

Now I am wondering about the auto-immune link with dysautonomia and if it is secondary to whatever else is going wrong in his body.

He is down about the news so I need to get my act together and perk up.

Hi there!

I wanted to tell you that I know someone who had elevated RF levels and bone pain in the fingers, wrists etc. She has hypothyroidism and the doctor told her that her levels were off and she needed to increase her medication. Said that the RF levels were elevated because of this and they should go back to normal levels once the hypothyroidism was back under control. I don't know why this would affect the rheumatoid factor and had never heard of this before, but the doctor was correct.. her levels are normal now and no more joint pain.

I wanted to mention this incase it is of value to you! :)

No- not necessarily. You can have a high rheumatoid factor and NOT have RA. I was just tested for this and this is what I was told by my doctor. There are also other autoimmune problems that may cause the elevated RF, too.

Sure- also don't let the name rheumatologist scare you, just cuz it sounds so similar. They deal with any problems with the connective tissue and skeletal system. I see one for EDS. As someone who probably WILL have RA some day (runs in the family), it is a pretty scary thing, but there are lots of resources out there now. Good luck!

Guest sonotech

I DO have RA, but can tell you that IF your husband DOES have RA, then it is great news that the xrays were normal. If RA is detected BEFORE damage is done to the joints and the doctors start treating the disease (usually with methotrexate) then it can REALLY SLOW the progression of the disease and prevent alot of joint damage.

Many people with RA who get agressive treatment can live fairly normal lives! My RA doesnt slow me down much, but the POTS symptoms sure do!

GOOD LUCK!

LAURA