Validation

yogini

I had a physical with my PCP today, who I hadn't seen in 2 years since I first came down with POTS. I stopped going to his office because I felt frustrated that I wasn't getting much help from him. At the end of my appointment he said, "Wow. I haven't seen you in a long time. The last time I saw you, you were so dizzy you could barely sit the chair. You look a lot better now." It really felt good for me to hear that, because at the time I didn't think he really believed that I was sick. I guess he did believe me, but he just didn't know what to do! He asked me a little bit about POTS and said that he'd never heard of it before, and that none of his patients had it. I feel bad, because I was so angry with him for not helping me, but I think he is just clueless more than anything (and granted he could have tried to look it up). I am glad we are doing things like the brochure and bracelet project, because raising awareness for POTS could really help us with our doctors. I guess some of them mean well, but just don't know enough to be helpful.

Also, my friend went skiing in CO a couple of weeks ago and had really bad altitude sickness. She said her heart was beating really fast the whole time. She passed out a couple of times and couldn't do anything during the trip. She told me that she thought of me, and said she couldn't imagine what it must feel like to be like that all of the time.

I know most of us feel like we talk about our condition, people don't seem to understand. It feels great to know that I got through at least a little to a couple of people...

Validation is a wonderful thing... makes you feel like you are alone in the world!! and that you arent nuttty!!

I'm glad that you doc and your friend understand what its is like for you.. alittle understanding goes along way!!

BIG HUGS

linda