Pots-friendly Date Ideas

Debilitating POTS can interfere in typical special times that couples have, new strategies have to be invented.

One thing I did when my son was small, was fire up the bread machine around 4 pm with whole-wheat bread. Then after my son was in bed, we'd sit on the couch and watch a movie while eating fresh, warm bread and butter around 8:30 pm. This simple thing made us happy.

Another thing we've done is lie in bed, at opposite ends and I read to him (he's supposed to rub my feet.) Sometimes, we've carried this routine to the park, with blankets, a sunset and something fun to drink.

Any other ideas?

Neat post :)

I think one of the coolest POTSy dates I had was laying on the lawn at an outdoor concert center and listening to the orchestra perform. We ate a picnic of salty sandwiches and water and then I was able to lie back and enjoy the music. The best part was I didn't feel out of place because everyone else on the lawn was laying down too! :) That activity is good for any group of friends, not necessarily just a date.

If I can't get out of the bed, then there is always watching a funny movie. Mystery Science Theater 3000 episodes are my favorites because they make me laugh for over an hour and afterward my mood is MUCH better!

Also board games are a great way to spend quality time together and interact without leaving the house. Othello is one of my favorites because it's really easy to play while laying down, but it's still mentally challenging.

This is a great topic! I hope lots of others have ideas to share!

This has been one of the biggest challenges for my husband and I. We used to be really good at dating - were even very creative when our kids were little and we were too poor to hire a babysitter, we created great dates at home. Somehow, though, these last three years have been a challenge in this area.

One of the things we used to spend a lot of time doing together was playing tennis. So, we bought a video tennis game and now on our date nights, I sit in my relciner and we play tennis. It's a lot of fun and for a few minutes I forget I'm sick. However, I'm a little competitive and really get into it and sometimes I wear myself out just from a video game :)

We also started going out for italian sodas after playing tennis, so now we make them at home and sit outside and talk. (Italian soda - Club soda, syrup flavoring (our fav's are peach and pina coloda) a little 1/2 and 1/2 and whipped cream on top).

We've been thinking with spring/summer coming up of taking a drive and looking for scenes for me to photograph for painting.

These aren't real great ideas, so we could use some ideas from others!

~Roselover

This is a great post!

My favorite dates with my husband when I was/am POTS-y have been light dinners on the beach. We can drive out onto Assateague National Seashore (there is an off-road vehicle area) in his truck. If we want to we walk a little, otherwise, we can just sit and watch the ocean and feel the sand beneath our feet. There is something about the ocean and beach experience that is so restorative, relaxing and comforting.

My husband and I enjoy kayaking and that is one sport I can still do quite easily since it is done sitting down. Creeks abound in my neighborhood. There is nothing quite like gliding over still water.

Katherine

The beach is truly the best place to forget about it all!

People ask me "how do you go to the beach in the summer and make it through?"...

Its something about being at the beach that makes you relax enough to forget about POTS and try to have fun. Maybe its the breeze off the ocean or the cold water or just the peacefulness but thats the one place I can go each year and actually enjoy myself! If I have POTS issues, so be it... at least I'm at the beach!

What a neat post... Unfortunately with 3 little ones, date nights are rare in our house but these are fun ideas when we do get back to that stage! :rolleyes:

The beach is a great idea, but the beaches are really crowded in So. Cal. We love to drive there just before sunset, nibbling in the car, listening to books on tape. We get there at sunset and have the beach to ourselves. We walk a little, drink in the air, watch all the bird antics and forget our troubles. It is cooler, too, and we stay until we get cold or tired.

For me, I cannot lie or sit long without feeling palpitations, so if I keep moving I am better. We have come to appreciate the time we spend taking walks. I am supposed to build up my calf muscles and I hate exercise, but I love his company and we talk about everything at that time.

Great thread.

OLL

When I can't walk and I'm stuck in bed and all that icky. My best friend will take me out in my wheelchair and stroll around the lake. She also will sometimes bring some bread so we can feed the ducks. After being stuck in the house and feeling so bad going out seeing to other people, life in beathy, and playing with the ducks I feel better. Plus, it I get to play and laugh with my friend.

I love this post!!

This will sound so lame after all of your cool ideas, but my hubby and I go to Starbucks, sometimes in the middle of the day if he can get away. (It has to be on a day that I'ved washed my hair atleast 3 days prior!) They have those big over-stuffed chairs that I can lean back on. And I love their decaf cafe mochas!!

I almost feel normal again when we're there...

Sometimes, we'll put the kids to bed and sit outside in our gazebo, looking at the stars, and sipping a little adult beverage (really helps the sleeping pills kick in!!).

I look forward to more ideas!

Oh my gosh, thanks so much to you all for posting this topic! I'm 18 and was just diagnosed with POTS, and one of my many concerns has been whether I could date normally!

One thing an ex of mine and I used to do when I was feeling poorly (before we even knew what was wrong) was lie on the floor, listen to music, and get out one of those fun "If" books with all those questions in it - you know, the ones with hundreds of questions starting with "If" like, "If you could be the author of any literary work, what would it be?" and ask them back and forth all night. We had such a great time and learned so much about each other!

My husband and I like to play cards while listening to music and sharing childhood stories. It works well if you can't afford to go out or can't pay for a babysitter. We just wait for the kids to go to bed and then we can have "our" time. (Now that kids are getting older, we play a game of go-fish before we put them to bed)

We love camping at the lake..........in the summer it's great to lay on a raft and let the cool water lap over my body.

Amber