Women Had endometrial ablation?

Sophia3

Anybody ever had uterine or endometrial ablations to slow down HEAVY bleeding?

Hyst is way too drastic but am getting blood work to check anemia and stuff tomorrow.

I am wanting to investigate this...would like to hear IF FOLKS have had it done.

I am reading online about it but want to know if somebody has been through it.

Thanks

P.S. also did it help with POTS symptoms since I can hardly get out of the bed with this monthly ambush.

I would have to think that lighter or no flow would help.

BCP and hormonal treatment did NOT work.

It's a great way to go. When I worked for ob/gyn, it was a very common procedure and worked really well. Usually you never bleed again. Imagine never having a another period....of course they didn't have them when I had my hyst, but I was bleeding to death, so no choice.

The prep for ablation is a little tricky, but the procedure itself is very easy, outpatient. About the equivelant of a D and C. morgan

I haven't had this--but I was suspected of having endometriosis. I had an exploratory laporoscopy 2 years ago--no endo found, so then they did a d & c just to be sure. I was sore for a few days, but other than that, no problems. Ice on my groin and abdomen really helped afterward. I continue to have gyn problems and have a colposcopy (again) next week. Lordy, do I ever HATE those things. I can't stand how they tell you it will hurt like a cramp--I always tell my male doctor that, "no, it will hurt like you are snipping a piece off my private parts... so I will curse at you...as if you were cutting a piece off your own privates" and he always laughs and tells me to come up with better swear words because the women giving birth have called him far worse things. B)

nina

I had a D&C in the last 80's and it didn't do squat for the bleeding stuff...that is why I am so leery of it helping with the ablation where they BURN OFF THE LAYERS.

Some women claim they rarely bleed again...just spot. If I had that in writing, I may consider the procedure. Will discuss with my ANS doc but with hormonal problems...just don'tknow.

THanks for the replies.

Sophia, I don't know anyone who has had that particular procedure. My best friend, however, had the procedure to stop her heavy bleeding, which was the ablation of the arteries/viens to kill off fibroid tumors by cutting off their blood supply. She was one of the first to have the procedure once it was approved by the FDA a few years ago and she swears it made her life oh-so-much better. She has normal cycles now.

Nina

Sophia,

Hi, I've actually had two girlfriends that have had this procedure done and both would do it over again without hesitation. They each had it done on a Friday, had a low key weekend and were back to work by Monday. I myself have been going through something similar (had my period for 53 straight days--very heavy). My Dr. has started me on hormones for now, but, if this doesn't work, she wants to do an ablation. My girlfriends and I don't have POTS, but I thought I'd let you know about their experience.

Patti

I never saw a patient in 3 years who regretted it.

Nina, I have to laugh at your comment. All the doctors always say, you're going to feel a little pinch and once one of them (a patient) said, okay, now you're going to feel a little kick! lol

My gastro is very tall and raises the stretcher up so I am very level with his middle. I always warn him to be careful or he may become a newt before the dilation's over... :unsure: morgan

Now back to ablation....

Hi,

My doctor is encouraging me to have this procedure also and I'm so glad that you brought this subject up.

I was told that most do not have any bleeding or only have a very light flow. My doctors wife had that procedure and she has not bled since. He also told my that all of his other patients that had it done have not had bleeding since. So that is not my concern.....I'm concerned with how much pain it might be after the ablation. Does anyone know how much pain is involved afterward??? Do you actually feel the burn afterward? Or is it more like cramping?? Thanks Marli