BP meds forever??

Jacquie802

Hi, I am wondering if anyone here knows whether or not the BP meds that some of us take will have to be taken forever...? Like if a person takes Florinef, Midodrine, or any med like that, can our BP ever be fine without it?

I took florinef for about a year, and then my BP came up on its own, so I stopped taking it.

I have been taking atenolol for almost two years. I have been weaning off of it for the past few months and hope to be completely off of it (and med free!) in the next few weeks. I think just it depends on each person...

I have been told by doctors that it depends on the severity of your condition. Initially, they thought I would be off medications within a year or so, as mine was post viral and expected to resolve itself. Some doctors also told me I would just "grow out of it". But as the doctors realized that it is pretty severe for me, it seems like they are realizing that it will be longer and isnt resolving after four years. So I think that it depends on your specific situation, but for me I think I will be on meds for a while. My BP is more stable now, but if I accidently forget to take my medicine one morning, I can definitely tell because I get hypotensive.

Severity and duration of POTS symptoms varies tremendously from person to person, so probably no one can answer your question. Also, medical research is only just beginning on this disorder. Some people with POTS do remain on meds for very long periods, others improve and can wean off after some time. My bp has evened out over time in my case, but of course, it is not possible to know what the future holds.

Katherine

I think that it probably depends on the person and how their body reacts to everything. As for me my docs dont know yet. They can not get my b/p under control. Vanessa