carotidynia

Radha

have any of had carotidynia or even heard of it? i was doing some research on it and it seems to explain the pain and tenderness i get in the upper corner of my neck, if any of have been diagnosed with it, can you tell me what if anything helped and what the pain felt like? i know its related to migraines which i get often, thanks

radha

Hi, I've had Carotidynia for 4 years. I've had TMJ and neck pain for almost 12 years following a car accident in 1994, but the pain only seemed to be related to the Carotid artery in 2001. They used electro-stim on me when I went for physical therapy for pain in my shoulders and upper back areas. The new P.T. assistant didn't seem to know where to place the pads. She kept asking me if they felt like they were about where the P.T. usually placed them. She also turned it up too high without checking on me, and I couldn't get anyone's attention. They had heat packs on me so I couldn't raise up or stretch to reach it myself. Well, I wasn't right after that. My heart was racing so much and my other POTS symptoms were really aggravated, and then later that day when I was lying down, I noticed that my carotid artery on the right side of my neck was pulsating very hard. It had never done that before. I was afraid it was going to rupture. You can feel the carotid artery pulsing like that when I'm sitting up or standing, but it's really noticeable when I'm lying down, and I'm often aware of it without even touching it when it's really strong.

The next morning the P.T. was very concerned, and he said I couldn't have anymore electro-stim. My neurologist never did any tests on me, but based on my symptoms (and I guess my migraine history), he diagnosed it as Carotidynia. My neck gets very painful with soreness over the carotid artery, and it often feels like there is inflammation. It radiates into my jaw, ear, eye, and head. It makes me very sick.

My neurologist said it was a very rare migraine variant, although the article says it's common. I've never met anyone else who had it. I'm convinced that mine was caused by the electro-stim, and possibly the improper placement of the pads, etc. It's interesting that the article that lthomas posted mentions them duplicating the pain using electro-stim, which furthers shows how mine was likely related to the electro-stim. My pain goes down some at times, but the carotid artery has been pulsating like that continuously for 4 years! The left carotid artery never pulsates like that.

I wish I could tell you what to do for it, but I just have to suffer. I have extensive hypersensitivities to medications, so I can't take anything for the Carotidynia or my migraines and other pain. I hope you find out what is causing your pain and that it's easily treatable.

Take care,

Lisa

thanks lisa for sharing your experience, yes the pain in my neck is very painful at times, and in my jaw and that side of my head, migraine meds do help, but i cant keep taking them so often, and i wish i knew what caused this kind of pain, thanks and hope you get relief soon,

radha