POTS and Cruises?

LisaColumbus

Hi all, we are trying to plan a vacation get away and with my mobility and activity level being seriously reduced we thought that a cruise might be the route to go. I am concerned that sea sickness might be an issue. I have never been sea sick before but I have never been on the water for longer than 8 hours either. Has anyone done a cruise? Was it a good experience or did it exacerbate the symptoms?

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Hi, I took a cruise last year and did fine :) I do get sea sick and had gotten sick on a previous one so I came prepared - I took ginger root on a daily basis and I never felt sick. You can also buy seabands and - I'm forgetting the name - something similar to dramamine.

There was a lot of walking on the ship, so just keep that in mind, as some of the ships are quite large. I think it helped me to have a room that was near the center of the ship, and close to the elevator. Some other things I did - I requested a shower chair and this helped after sometimes long days, also I brought my own container for water so I made sure to stay hydrated. You might also want to look into tours that the ship offers, I went on a few that didn't have much walking.

Overall, on the cruise I felt pretty good and I think it was because I ate so much (salty) food that it was equivalent to a saline IV for me :) I'm usually pretty intolerant with exercise and I survived 6 ports!

Where are you thinking of cruising?

hth,

Pam

hi :)

I went on a cruise and was fine. I mean i was not healthier than usual but i was not worse. There were episodes of feeling sea sick but i think that may be more of a personal thing than a POTS thing. I admit when i was 15 i went on another cruise and i fainted and the drs gave me a needle of some sort so i could stand up strait again. However, that was well before i got sick so i think thats just my body being freaky due to the heat. Good luck!

:huh:

hi :)

I went on a cruise and was fine. I mean i was not healthier than usual but i was not worse. There were episodes of feeling sea sick but i think that may be more of a personal thing than a POTS thing. I admit when i was 15 i went on another cruise and i fainted and the drs gave me a needle of some sort so i could stand up strait again. However, that was well before i got sick so i think thats just my body being freaky due to the heat. Good luck!

:huh: