Ack! Losing my physical therapist

MightyMouse

yesterday my wonderful physical therapist told me that Friday, next week, will be his last day! I knew it had to be too good to be true--to find someone who knew what EDS was and what to do with me. He's going to be working about 30 minutes east of where I go to see him now, which would make it nearly an hour's drive, or a little beyond, from work, and 40 minutes from home. Not sure I can swing that 3 days per week. :( I'm so darned bummed out... in the midst of being happy about other things.

My body is feeling so much stronger. I'm not in as much pain in my spine. I'm in a bit more pain in my knees and hips, but they've not been this active in years, so I kind of expected to have some pains as I adjust. I have been able to go a few days without pain meds at a time, and then need to take one dose to keep me pain free enough either to sleep or to make it through my workout. My &@$# broken toe still hurts and my foot is still swollen, so I've had to bike more than run in order to give my little toe enough rest.

I'm trying to regroup and figure out what I'm going to do about PT--follow him or ask him to refer me to someone "in the know" who works similarly to him. I've gotten so spoiled with my trigger point releases, neurals stretches and good counsel, and coaching.

Nina

That is a bummer. Does he do home visits at all? My hubby and I have a massage therapist that does medical massage, stretching, triggerpoint etc. He comes to the home. That is a nice treat for us.

Hopefully he does have someone to refer you too that is knowledgable like himself.:(

Edited by mom4cem

That *****, especially since you are improving with him. I always use the same massage person and I have a team of folks that work with me on my conditioning etc. I have a head coach and than other people and we rotate who works with me, and it works really well for me. My place is unique with how well trained they all are and they are all trained on how to work with me...nobody works with me until they have sat down with my head person and gone over my history, chart, etc. We have even had people observe my sessions and go around with me and my trainers, so they can ask questions and see how I do. It's no big deal, but you have to have people that know how to work with you and get results.

I would ask your therapist if he knows of anyone there that he thinks would do a good job. If so, have them come to your sessions, and work with him some, so they understand your case, and how to work with you. I would also have a back up plan. Driving that far three days a week is likely too tough to do on your own. So I would ask your trainer if you find you do okay with the new person, but still benefit from them, can you come to them once a week.

If you get another therapist and they aren't as good, and you aren't getting results, I would make it very clear up front what your expectations of them are. If they do not do what they need to do, fire them, plain and simple. You could also see about spending an hour on the training and than follow it with an hour massage. That might work really well for you, and you sound as if the massage truly makes your life better. Than you can push more in your training and the massage will help calm things down and make soreness less, etc. Also, gives you some recovery folloing the workout before you have to drive.

Last option...see about getting somebody to drive you to your sessions if you need to stick with the same person. It's just not worth the time or money, or being bad to your body to work with somebody that doesn't meet your needs.

Good luck!! Are you taping your toes? Broken toes are such a pain, sometimes taping them helps. Watch it on the running, so you don't get a stress fracture in your foot.

Thanks for the sympathy :( I think I'm going to ask his opinion about whether or not he thinks his replacement will implement my routine including the theraputic releases he does after my workout. His replacement is a PT from another one of their others. If he hesistates for even a second, I'm not taking the replacement...

Yep, I've been taping my toe. It's still red and angry most days. My foot is still a bit swollen and it's harder to fit into my workout shoes. I just ordered another pair that are wider because my toe gets meaner when I squeeze it into a shoe that's too tight.

Did my home workout tonight and looking forward to going to PT at 9am on Monday.

:angry: Nina

gggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :P i'm super frustrated for you but know that you're too mighty to let the stumbling block stand in your way. i'm SO impressed with all you're pushing on with & hope that you are able to get hooked up with a new PT who is equally wonderful. or maybe you could get some magic harry potter dust so you could make the trip in a matter of seconds??

:) melissa

I had a nice talk with my pt today--he thinks the replacement will work well with me because he's got lots of training in physical manipulation, which is what we've been doing after every session. He also told me he'd already spoken with the new pt specifically about me (I was flattered :huh:) and that he's written him extensive notes and I have the longest list of notes of any of his patients. Made me a bit relieved.

Here is something neat--he's thinking of running the race that I'm in this Decemeber so he can see me finish. Isn't that sweet? Okay. I'm feeling sentimental and wanna cry right now.

I'm over tired and have a paper to work on...and my brain is barely functioning. PT worked out my sore hips, which are apparently the source of my aching knees; apparently, having tight muscles up in my hips makes my knees have to counter balance to let my heels strike the ground in the right position. Right now I just want to crawl in bed, but that's not an option. Must get my brain working somehow. I think that a cup of hot cocoa is in order!

Nina