Salt tablets

gelann

hi gelann-

they can be bought without a prescription (in the US..it may be different elsewhere) but generally i wouldn't suggest someone taking them without clearing it with a doc in terms of how many, etc. if you don't see them though would ask the pharmacist b/c they may be behind the counter or may have to be ordered.

people are given completely different recommendations from different doctors so there's not necessarily a standard dose. i haven't taken them in years as my stomach can't handle them so i don't remember how many i took when i did give them a try. i eat a really high salt diet now but get it all through the salt shaker :)

hope this helps,

:P melissa

Some people can't stomach the salt tablets. You may want to try just putting sea salt in your water or gatorade throughout the day. I use a brand from the health food store called Real Salt. It's loaded with trace minerals too, unlike table salt, which just depletes your body of minerals.

Gena

I have seen many posts that different people take salt tablets.  Where do I find them?  I have been looking?  thanks! And if I find them  how many should a person take?  My dauaghter has NCS.

when i was discharged from the hospital after they diagnosed my situation, I was told by every pharmacy I went to in my area that they no longer make salt tablets. I thought that was a little bizzare so I just upped my salt intake. Maybe it is just in NYS????? Terri

Although a lot of people find they can not stomach the salt tabs and go back to just adding salt to their diet I was the other way around so they are definately worth a try. I was prescribed 20 tablets per day, all taken in the morning (they are massive and take ages to swallow!!)

It is best to visit your doctor and request a 24 hour urinary sodium test to check your daughters currrent levels and then start with just a few and work your way up. Regular urinary screens are reccomended as in some people the salt just flushes straight back out therefore it is a waste of time/money to take them.

Also be careful- I lost 1 1/2 stone in 1 month of taking sodium and I ate everything in sight!!!!

Good luck

Katie

I'm in Australia, here you can just buy them over the counter at a pharmacy, without a prescription. Just ask for Sodium Chloride tablets.

I try to take them, but they can make you very nausious (sp?), and even make you vomit. But if you don't vomit, the nausea only lasts for about 30 minutes.

Sorry I forgot to say, if you take them AFTER food and with lots and lots of water (minimum 70ml per tab) it goes a long way to avoiding the nausea etc

I take Celtic sea salt found in Health food stores rather then sodium chloride b/c as Gena posted they are full of good minerals as well...its a complete salt not just processed into the Sodium Chloride......