Pulmonary Function Test

Ernie

Hi,

I am having a Pulmonary Function Test tomorrow morning and I just saw on the sheet that I will have a bronchodilator.

I know the vasodilator triggers my adrenaline rush/fainting but do any of you know if a bronchodilator could trigger an episode?

Thanks for your opinion

Ernie

Hi,

I will be able to answer you tomorrow because I did not even know I had that test until last night when I went to bed. I just took a look at the sheet to make sure I was following proper instructions and found out about that test.

My doctor never talked about it so I have no clue what it is. I will ask my questions tomorrow.

Hi Ernie..I had Pulmonary Function testing at Mayo when I was seeking my dx. I remember that they did give me something to inhale...probably a bronchodialater. I told them I was sensative to meds. and they said it wouldn't hurt me and it was NOT a steroid. I didn't have any problems with it at all..they just wanted to see if my breathing felt easier after it was inhaled. I do want to tell you that there is a portion of the test where they had me sort of hyperventalate..this I did not enjoy..saw stars and felt like passing out! (Apparently this is how you're supposed to feel) :)

My advise to you would be let them know all of your concerns regarding the bronchodialtater and be sure they know that you become synoptic..especially for the hyperventalation portion of the test!! Oh, and at the end of my test they had me step up and down these stairs for 3 minutes..again if you tend to have problems with fainting I would discuss this with them. At the time I had my test done I DID NOT have a dx. of POTS yet..so maybe they have already taken this into consideration for your procedure and will alter some of the testing.

Good luck with everything!! Let us know how it goes! :)

Ernie,

It is usual to give you ventolin during the PF tests. It will cause tachycardia and also drop your potassium so if you have any issues with either you should make sure you tell the respiratory therapist who performs the tests .My daughter ,who also has dysautonomia ,was made much worse by a mis guided treatment of ventolin when she went into a walk in clinic with symptoms of acute SOB.

There is very little research on how dysautonomia affects the lungs so I would be interested in your results .....Got any snow yet in montreal?

Best wishes.

Margaret

I've had pulmonary function test done a few times and I've never been given the brochodialator during the test. Maybe they can do the test w/o? Couldn't hurt to ask.

nina

Hi,

Thank you so much for you sound advice. I will ask the technicia tomorrow about the medication.

There is no snow yet in Montreal. The temperature today was about 40F or 9C.

I will keep you posted on my next "adventure". I will post tomorrow if I can.

Good night everyone.

Ernie,

I also will be having this test in a couple weeks due to my ongoing shortness of breath at rest and difficulty talking without getting short of breath. (Which is so weird, because I can go for an hour-long brisk walk, jog for 20 minutes, etc., and I feel OK doing that. ????)

Anyway, I don't know much about the test except that my doctor told me I would be given some sort of lung "irritant" to inhale, then would be given a bronchodilator to see if it helps me tolerate this "irritant." I was planning on looking the test up online.

OK, just looked it up and found this link:

http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic2972.htm

This is way too detailed but mentions a methacholine challenge test. I don't know if you are having this or not. I will be. Doesn't sound fun but I am willing to do whatever it takes to figure out why I can't breathe well.

Are you still having all-over muscle weakness? I am, and I wonder if my (and your) shortness of breath is due to diaphragm weakness.

Amy

Hi Amy,

Thanks for the link. I read it before going to the hospital this morning and it was very helpful.

I did all the breathing tests and I was very careful not to push my body to far and I managed not to pass out during that testing phase.

It was technically difficult for me to do the tests because I faint every time I do a valsalva and the pulmonary function test is mostly breathing in and out. The technician noticed that I had a hard time and he gave me time to recuperate between every segment of the test.

My test results are borderline so I might have to do some more tests to find out if I have Asthma or not.

Thanks again everyone for your encouragement and experiennce.

ernie -

i missed wishing you well but am glad things went well with the testing & that you had understanding folks administering the test(s).

:P melissa