College accommodations

cnm1

HELP!!! :)

I need some help from all those who have dealt with college and chronic illness. My daughter, Rachel, is a high school senior who takes all college courses on line. She is pretty much home bound. In the junior year she managed this with few accommodatons - this year she is sinking. She has accommodations for more time and flexable deadlines. She is very tired and really struggling. Unfortunately, she is also reluctant to request extra time. She feel she should be able to do this like other students!!!!!! Ok, she is driving me nuts. (Sorry Rachel if you read this). To get extratime etc, she has to contact the prof. each time - which seems to add to the stress of her situation.

When you have gotten really sick have professor's ever modified or forgiven assignments so that you could catch up? Ever though I know she doesn't want me to, I want to contact her professors myself (there is a letter at her colleges that allows me access to everything). I am trying to figur out what is reasonable to ask for . For physics, (which she loves and is very good in), I would like to ask that instead of having to type up all homework, she can send in her handwritten work - mainly the calculations. Right now they have to type up every problem with a explanation of theory behind it. It is a huge amount of work. For labs, I would like her to submit the data and analysis, again handwritten - instead of a full lab report. Her lab reports have been so good that her prof. requested that he be able to use one of hers as a example of students should be doing!!! The full reports are up to 15 pages typed. Does this seem reasonable? It does not eliminate anything essential but decreases the final polished project.

Rachel is very frustrated. Any suggestions? She has all A's in her classes and only 4-6 weeks left. The teachers can see that she is a good student.

Thanks

Louise

Thaks Steph

Actually, Rachel received her acceptance to OU yesterday!!!!. I think some of her sudden resistance to asking for help is that in the process of applying to college, Rachel has had to reflect on the "nonexistance" of her HS years. The full weight of what this illness has done to her is suddeningly overwhelming. There is alot of anger, frustration, and denial - all perfectly appropriate but difficult. She has always maintained a very positive attitude so I expect that there is some grieving that needs to be done.

Everytime she has to email a professor about needing extra time - it becomes a "reminder" of her situation. I would like there to just be extra time - no need to request each time. She has been up until 2-3 am for 3 nights and nothing gets done because she is so tired. She is like a zombie.

I am trying to be careful about compromising her trust. It is so hard because she is making things worse than they have to be. She can hear nothing that I say. I know some of this is just being 17- hey she is a teen.

Louise

Hey Louise,

I can empathise. I graduated from St Andrews this year after five years of studying! Listen, if I can do it, she can do it- I had to lie flat on my back in a CArdiac Care Unit to finish my last assignment- my parents brought in my laptop and I typed it there. If she wants it enough, she will find a way.

My tutors at the moment know that I have bad days and they try to work their times for tutorials around me, which is GREAT. They are really accommodating.

Yes, the adjustments you mention are perfectly reasonable. In this country we have the SENDA- special education needs and disabilities act. In addition, we have the DDA- Disability Discrimination Act which means that "reasonable adjustments " to enable students to remain on an equal footing with other able bodied students have to be in place by law.

(something the people who put me in thus ******* accommodation should realise!)

Get in touch with the professors if you have permission to do that (good that you signed stuff; in St Andrews we weren't even allowed to tell parents whether their son/daughter was a matriculated student or not because of confidentiality!!!!)

Anyhoo, I'm sure your daughter will survive. I did- and I'm at Oxford now doing my masters because I want it too much to let it go. The last few weeks I've had here have been the sickest and most stressful of my entire life!!! But you know what, leacing would be too easy! And I haven't worked all this time to get here to throw in the towel!!!

Hopefully Rachel has supportive tutors? I'm sorry to mention it again, but it is SO inspiring that I want to show everyone there is hope--my academic tutors hewre are AMAZING. So helpful, constructive and accommodating; they totally respect my stubborn determination to carry on and do this course regardless of what my heart and blood pressure throw at me! Academics CAN BE so good. (although some can be silly too, like the ones trying to make me live UPSTAIRS!)

Louise,

At the college where I teach, Student Services is very happy to coordinate accomodations for students who have a diagnosed "disability." Most colleges have policies regarding accomodations that have to be made to such students under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Offices like Student Services correspond with professors on the student's behalf and explain the mandated accomodations that must be made. Thus there is no need for a student to approach a professor every time he or she has an assignment due or exam to take to seek extensions, extra time on exams etc. To qualify for such accomodations, however, I believe some sort of physical examination or testament from a recognized health care expert is required. I have found that students are often embarassed and/or very reluctant to take advantage of these services, therefore. But, from the viewpoint of a teacher, I think it is better for the student and better for the relationship between the professor and student if a third party intervene.

Different schools probably have different processes for dealing with these issues. But you should certainly check out what accomodations OU can make before your daughter attends.

India

I was allowed extra time to complete assignments, but none were ever forgiven. On 3 occasions, I took an incomplete for a course and then finished the papers, or projects to get the grade within several months.

Nina

Hi Louise,

Same boat here. Chrissy called me the other night crying about projects due and she can't get them done, doesn't feel well, doesn't know what she's going to do, etc. etc.!! She has one professor I'd like to bang against a wall. Everytime she's missed his class he has told her to get information from another student so she can catch up. She's tried e-mailing him each time with no response. THEN I told her to call disabilities and see what they can do. She did and lo and behold, he said "I'd be more than happy to help her anytime". She's written him twice again--still no response. Then her last e-mail I told her to mention the disabilities office and he answered immediately. I'd like to think he just can't place Chrissy with her illness and the disabilities office, BUT I BELIEVE otherwise. Round and round she goes. With most teachers she hasn't had a problem and they really do try to help her. It just seems that she has to remind them repeatedly about the situation and for what we're paying at JCU this shouldn't be happening!!

It is very stressful for me (I know for her as well, of course), when I can't do anything about it though.

Last week I had to run down to the school because Chrissy hadn't sleep all night b/c she said her chest hurt and the palpatations got so bad she was really scared. I did intervene then and called disabilities myself to tell them that I'd be taking her to the ER and if she could contact the teachers for us. That worked out great.

I would like to find some way that these teachers don't need to be reminded constantly.

They have a letter from Disabilities, they have a very detailed letter from Chrissy and she's spoken to each professor individually---but there's still some kinks in the system.

Louise, if you find something that works--PLEASE let me know. :)

Patti

In defense of my profession, and as someone who is a POTS sufferer and went through college with it, and as someone who has to deal with student illnesses all the time, I'd like to say that professors are sometimes just overwhelmed with sheer numbers of students. I know there is a common perception out there that college profs do little work and wile away their time in their ivory towers oblivious to the "real world" and "real work," but for most of us, that is just a pipedream. I have sometimes up to 120 students or more a semester and on top of that I have mountains of committee work, and my contract requires me to research and to publish. I constantly feel overwhelmed and it is very difficult to keep track of each individual student's needs, although I try my very best. I admit that some of my colleagues are "less than accomodating" to students, but they are in a minority.

No college has a perfect system to deal with the multitude of needs of the student body. From a professor's point of view, personal contact with an individual student is a much more productive way to deal with health and learning issues. Also realize that professors are constrained by federal privacy laws. At least at a college level, parental involvement is not encouraged. Tough as this may sound, most colleges lay responsibility for dealing with educational and health issues at the feet of students and this is partly for privacy reasons: many a college has been sued for violating student privacy rights. Students are legally autonomous adults in college and no longer subject to parental protection or parental interference under the law. Legally I am not allowed to talk to parents about any aspect of a student's college life.

This is incredibly tough for those of us who have to deal with health issues at college. But all I can say is that, the majority of professors out there are accomodating, and if they forget once in a while, it is certainly not out of any maliciousness.

Sorry if this sounds defensive but I think we have to look at both sides of this issue to find a way through.

India

Hey,

Im not part of the US college system but at my uni the prof's have been great. One class gave me a 6 month extention to hand in my work (they basically said hand it in when you are able to do it).

I just want to say to rachel that there is no need to feel bad for asking for extra time ... i know it would be great to feel normal and be 'just like everybody else' but the normal kids struggle sometimes let alone people with illness. I realise you have likely heard this all before... just know you are not alone with trying to balance being normal with asking for help :)

Here in the US, students may qualify for accomodations officially by filing information with their school's disability services office. This is what I did in order to protect my grades from being affected by absences. I was given a letter to distribute each semester to professors stating that I may require absences due to medical necessity and that these absences should not be counted against my grade. If I need extra time on papers, tests, etc., I would go back to the disability office and get an additional letter.

Nina

Hello,

Don't have much more to add everyone has been so helpful. This is her issue. You say "I want her..." She needs to figure out what she needs to have. I think it would be a disservice to her and the other students to simply not require her to fulfil the same requirements for the class. While from the outside they may seem superfulous, the professor may have very good reasons.

When I was in Seminary I had a car accident and had a head injury, had problems with memory etc.... I had testing. My doctor wrote a letter stating that I should get the progessors notes, take exams with notes and in a quiet room. Your daughter may have different accomodations that would work for her.

And I definately hope that you talk with her and ask her to make some decisions about her needs and have her write a letter and send to all professors and office of disability. That way she is in charge. Alternately I would tell her where you feel you would need to step in and contact the school. That way ther is clarity where you both stand. Good luck... Miriam :D

Thank you all for the great ideas and different perspectives. I should explain that Rachel does have accommodations through the disabilities office and that she has always contacted teachers (on her own) at the beginning of the semester. She includes info about her illness. She has contacted the prof each time she would be late and has let him know that she is very ill right now. From her experiences with other on line classes, there are things he could do to make it simpler for her too. There are ways that the drop boxes have been set up for another class at the same college that didn't require multiple contacts to submit a late assignment.

I should also point out she is a high school student taking college courses - so I feel I still have a role. After feedback from other moms in similiar situations, I contacted the disabilities office to let them know that she is particularly ill right now and asked them what other accommodations might be possible. I drafted a letter for Rachel to send to her professors and emailed it to her. It is her decision follow through. But again, she did contact him and does he have a letter from the disablities office. I get the feeling he is the absent minded professor. Also, since everything is online - there is no physical contact. I think that makes it harder too.

I have always been very proud of how well Rachel's advocates for herself. I have NEVER been involved in contacting her teachers. It is always been her. I do understand the issues around "forgiving" assignment. Rachel believes all the work is necessary but perhaps some things could be "modified". Faxing homework instead of typing it. Word isn't the best format for showing complicated physics work. She is also taking calculus and that is what they do. Most people do calculations by hand. Typing up math calculations is more tedious.

Patti, I am sorry to her about Chrissy's difficulties. I know for even healthy students the final few weeks can ****. I think I am going to see about getting a couple of bags IV fluids in to Rachel. That might give her some short term relief. We also decreased her midodrine, she seems to be able to think better.

Louise

Louise

Hi Louise,

Please convey to your daughter not to be embarrassed to ask for help through the professors etc and to explain her illness at the beginning of the college year or semester to each of the professors when beginning the year. Our daughter typed a letter explaining the illness and how it effects her. It can make a difference in how things are perceived by the professors when things are not accomplished or done as they require when they are required.

our daughters who are both in college, one in another state far away, has done this and it does help the teachers to understand. All it is doing is making the playing ground equal so to speak so she can accomplish what she needs to. She may also have to do this type of thing when it comes time for employment for her career at times in the future. Our daughter found some professors also could sympathize with her due to their own disorders that they expressed to her so they ended up having a common ground.

Good luck and I know the frustration you feel watching your child suffer while trying to accomplish their goals, you want to just swoop in and fix things but I've learned that you have to just inform them and then let them decide the when. My youngest usually won't give up until she falls flat on her face in exhaustion she is so determined but she is slowly learning to self regulate while my oldest has already learned to listen to her body and make modifications as needed. I advise and then let them decide what is best for them even though the mom in me wants to make things all better, they have to learn through doing as well.

Good luck to your daughter and congrats on the OU acceptance.