A formal hello

Dizzy Dame

Hello all,

I joined the blog yesterday and spaced on introducing myself. (I'm a blond so I have an excuse). I'm 23 and was diagnosed with POTS and Orthostatic Hypotension two months ago after several months of ER visits (I would "fall" "randomly" and they kept telling me I was "clumsy".) The doctors are still in the process of figuring out exactly why I have these conditions, but they've already ruled out everything but autonomic dysfunction (I suppose they're still trying to figure out just HOW dysfunctional my autonomic system is).

Before I got sick I was obsessive horse rider, and swimmer (I live in Hawaii so there's not much else to do). Now I'm a bed jockey. I still go to school, but I could only do three classes this semester and I've missed alot of them between hospital stays, doctors visits and days where I can't get out of bed. I still have my poetry though, my only invincible passion, so I guess things could be worse. It's been rough, but the experience has grounded me and I know I've grown as a result of it and hopefully will continue to grow through this mess.

I stumbled onto this website when I was trying to find a doctor that actually knew something about POTS beyond how to diagnose it. I'm glad I'm here: You guys know what I'm going through, and I feel like I'm not alone in this.

Hope to have many conversations,

Lauren

Hey Lauren! I'm 23 too and poetry is my passion as well. I did a degree in English at St Andrews (Scotland) and I'm off to Oxford University in 10 days time to study a postgrad degree in Medieval English (mainly poetry)...exciting but scary.

I have POTS and VVS (vasovagal syncope). They've never been able to tell me why, but I'm adamant it's related to my hormones- it all began 7 days before my first period, when I was 12, and is always worse at that time of the month.

Hope to see you post often.

Welcome!!! You'll soon recognised my posts- I'm the dippy one who talks about silly stuff and has no common sense :rolleyes:

:lol:

Hey Lauren! I'm 23 too and poetry is my passion as well. I did a degree in English at St Andrews (Scotland) and I'm off to Oxford University in 10 days time to study a postgrad degree in Medieval English (mainly poetry)...exciting but scary.

I have POTS and VVS (vasovagal syncope). They've never been able to tell me why, but I'm adamant it's related to my hormones- it all began 7 days before my first period, when I was 12, and is always worse at that time of the month.

Hope to see you post often.

Welcome!!! You'll soon recognised my posts- I'm the dippy one who talks about silly stuff and has no common sense :rolleyes:

:lol:

Good stuff. I've actually been cosidering Oxford for post grad studies. Let me know how you like it when you get a chance :)

- Lauren

I've actually been cosidering Oxford for post grad studies. Let me know how you like it when you get a chance? :D

- Lauren

Ooooh....what period? Oxford has some of the best manuscripts in the world! I can't wait to get my paws on them!

Have a look at www.english.ox.ac.uk

I'm most likely going to study 20th and 21st century forms. I think it's just too exciting to see poetry evolve right before my eyes! and so fast too! Plus it's really cool to be able to write the poets I'm studying :)

Still, I may go for an MFA in poetry if I can get into Iowa or Cornell, because while I love theory, writing is my passion.

I'm a ways off though. I need to graduate with my BA first, and while I was on track to graduate in a year, now it looks as though it may take longer. Still, Oxford would be wonderful. Thanks for the link, I'll check out (and probably slobber over) thier programs.

- Lauren :)

Hey Lauren,

Just wanted to say hello!  I'm 24 and supposedly in a graduate program, but have had to take the past 4-5 months off.  Glad you found this place...it's a nice place to get info and support.

Kristen

Good to meet you kristen. Everyone here has been so nice :)

It's good to know there's a place for all of us POTS heads :):D

-Lauren

Welcome Lauren,

I'll leave the poetry to you and Persephone though! I'm TERRIBLE at it. I like to wriet, but NOT poetry! Stacey is awesome at it too, and Poohbear now has a knack for it with Dr. Seuss poems...

If you go to Iowa I'll hook you up with all my relatives! :) (There's A LOT of them--I have 40 cousins on one side of the family!)...

Anyways, just a little goofy tonight. Not sure what has gotten into me. But, I wanted to welcome you. I"m also a twenty-something--which I can only say for a couple more weeks now! Eeek!

Emily

Lauren, wlecome, i am gald you found the site. ofer the last few months i have goten soooooo much out of the web site. It nice to talk to others that may now, or have been though was i am going though. I just wanted to say hi and welcome!

Amy