Is morning nausea normal in POTS?

bamagirl

I have developed morning nausea over the last few months. I have had every test there is and my gallbladder removed last year. I have no uterus, so I know I'm not pregnant. I have had POTS for about 8 years and it seems I get a new symptom just when I thought I had them all. Mostly feeling drunk, nausea and burning & stinging pain in my arms and legs. I feel like a freak among freaks!!

Well testing is good to rule out an other problems going on, but I think morning nausea is pretty common with us, unfortunately. (Am I right, folks?)

I got sick (CFIDS & NMH) over 10 years ago and have had the morning nausea every since. Sometimes it's not so bad and sometimes it's totally debilitating. I have had all kinds of GI tests (yuck) and have had other GI symptoms/problems resolved along the way, but "morning sickness" is just a way of life for me.

I try to schedule my activities for after 11am or better yet- in the afternoon and evenings only. Like I said, some mornings I really am "okay" but most of the time I struggle with... actually I would call it a "hangover" although I have never had a real "hangover" caused by alcohol (I don't drink). I think this is what a hangover -would- feel like. I just get it for the fun of it, I guess. :-/

Looking forward to seeing more replies on this topic.......

Thanks for the reply sunshine :) Sorry you have the nausea every day as well. Any doc give you a reason for the nausea? It seems there should be a physical reason for it. I know there can be some delayed gastric emptying problems but I don't have that. I get the nausea every morning & it goes away as soon as I get up & move around. Also, I seem to itch more when I am symptomatic. Is this also a common thread in POTS? By the way, glad to be here!! It's nice to talk with folks who understand!!

I also have nausea -- mine seems to come and go for weeks/months at a time.

Bamagirl -- you mentioned that you itch when you are more symptomatic. I've been experiencing this recently too. I never thought it was related to this illness but I guess it may be....interesting.

Lisa

During the past year I've had more trouble with nausea but unlike most of you, mine seems to be in the middle of the night or in the middle of the afternoon.

It doesn't seem to be correlated to what I eat and it doesn't seem to be tied in with the migraines or migraine aura. Who knows...I'm lucky in that, for the most part, mine has been manageable and doesn't last for too long a stretch at one time.

Hi,

Chrissy also has nausea, pretty much on a daily basis. I don't thinkshe gets it only in the morning however. One of the reasons we were given is slow gastic emptying. She wears $7.00 'motion sickness' wristbands that we've purchased from AAA, they seem to help her quite a bit.

Take Care.

Patti

Just a quick thought...Rachel mentioned it feeling like a hangover...maybe it is basically the same physiologic cause...hangovers are caused by intense dehydration. Us POTS people are more prone to that. I feel slightly nauseous in the morning but it's more a part of a general "yuck" feeling that goes away in a couple hours. Of course that feeling can be replaced with IBS later in the day, but that's a whole other type of nauseous. :)

Kristen

I have nausea alot...especially first several hours of the day. I think the cause varies from being symptomatic to side effect of medication. For the first part of the day when I am too sick to eat, I drink Nouriche yougurt, or eat a yougurt or a pudding. I hope you figure out a reason and your nausea goes away!

(I know I am not pregnant either as I had a hysterectomy earlier this year)

I have been on Protonix for the stomach problems I do have, and didnt have nausea until I started on meds for this condition. But then again the condition itself has gotten worse since then...so I don't know what to make of it.

Hey,

I had 'morning sickness' just about every day this summer and again in the afternoon.. I'm not pregnant either- I've got an IUD!!

Luckily it's mostly gone away for now... I think for me part of it was the heat and working too much (as usual). hOPE YOU GET SOME RELIEF SOON!!

Thanks for all the replies. I have SOOOO many symptoms, I wonder what to do. I have tried all of the drugs that are supposed to help, but I wind up not feeling better and just deal. Last night my bp was 86/57 and I felt terrible. My pulse was 63. I seem to feel worse when my pulse is low. Anyway I went to bed and woke up as soon as I dozed off because I was itching, and my arms and back were burning and stinging. I also felt like I had been given adrenaline and my mind was racing. I'm not stressed (except for feeling terrible every day!). I just don't know when to say, OK, it's all related to the POTS or try to seek help.

Hi..

I too have alot of "morning sickness"... some times it is only mild... and I can tolerate it.. other times it is severe.. and I dont dare move for fear of throwing up..

WHen it is severe nothing helps it...

but when it is mild or moderate compasine (sp) helps... uh.. I normally use quite a bit of that pepto bismol stuff.. I sometimes get relief from that those things...

I get my" morning sickness"...all through out the day.. Oh boy!!

I have the am pukies too. Try sipping luke warm chamomille tea. I can't use pepto and I save my regalin for the eally bad days. If there is no one to make it for you/brig it to you. You can ore make it and put in a thermal cup when you lay down and its normally aa little warm 6-8hrs later. Try driking a little before you lay down, then when you get up. Check with doc first dor drug interactions before hand. I use thr celestial seasonins brand. Peppermint tea works too. Also for a quick fix, **** on a slice of lemon. I did this while pregnant both times. I let my 18month old have a little lemon since she hates the Chamomille tea even at its weakest.

Pam