Unpleasant Smell Causing a Flair Up

MikeO

Not sure if any one has this happened. Yesterday i was working on a plugged wash tub and ended up getting a whiff of a bad smell. I went tachycardia and became very orthostatic. It did suck and pretty much put me down for the rest of the day.

Sure this is not the first time this has happened. 

Yes! I've had this happen to me on many occasions! 

I now find that I will avoid strong odours, (if possible), due to this effect. Awful when you're out and have to walk past a building being painted, or put fuel in the car...!

We once had a stain remover in a spray bottle that had quite a strong chemical-y smell. I must have loosened the lid by accident once, and it had fallen on its side in the laundry cupboard and spilled its contents. When we returned home and I walked into the laundry - the smell hit me and immediately my heart rate rose (high), and I felt like I would faint. My husband had to clean it (he had no problem with the smell), and we had to open all of the windows and air the entire house out before I could go back inside.

Do you find that you generally have a heightened sense of smell? I do, (I can often smell things that others can't). There are times where I've walked past the fruit bowl in the kitchen and knew immediately that an orange or lime had gone mouldy (it just had that mould smell - sure enough, once I check, there will always be one piece of fruit with even the tiniest dot of mould.

@bizbiz I have noticed that quite a lot of dysautonomia sufferers are overly sensitive to one or several senses! HPOTS runs in my family and my sisters are very sensitive to smells, light and noise. I am very aware of any noise going on around me, and places like stores or crowded places can overstimulate me in no time, to where I get the racing heart and BP spikes. It may just be something that contributes to the triggers that make us sick. 

6 hours ago, bizbiz said:

Do you find that you generally have a heightened sense of smell? I do, (I can often smell things that others can't). There are times where I've walked past the fruit bowl in the kitchen and knew immediately that an orange or lime had gone mouldy (it just had that mould smell - sure enough, once I check, there will always be one piece of fruit with even the tiniest dot of mould.

I am going to say yes. seems at times i am hunting down smells that are bothering me.

I unfortunately have that problem. I can't take odors, I have to find them no matter how faint. I just always thought I was being finicky, I actually never thought it was from my condition. There are so many different things associated with it that I am learning just communicating with others who are going through this.