Clonidine: Any advice?

Abe

It's being a while since I have been here mainly because this year has been the worst since I got diagnosed with POTS.  I haven't had a day I call normal this year and things just keeps getting worse. After another round of tests, which by the way, all came back normal, I was prescribed Clonidine.  I have heard from many POTS patients that it helped them with the adrenaline dumps which I battle with daily.  I just want to know if anyone here have tried it and what was/is your experience?  I am scared to start another medication as I am trying to get off Lorazepam.  It has been the only thing that has helped me be able to work as little as I can over the last six years.  Thanks.

Dear @Abe I am so sorry you are still battling so badly! I have taken clonidine once and it was terrible. I took the lowest dose on the market and slept every day, as if I had taken pain killers. Then, on day 5, I woke up in the night with terrible anxiety and thinking I was going to die. My BP that night was sky high. I stopped after that night and it took a few days to get back to "normal". I have HPOTS, so I suffer from adrenaline surges causing high BP. I dont recall if it helped with those because I slept the whole time! 

Having said all of this - this was simply MY experience. I know of many people with POTS who have been helped by it. It all depends on the mechanism behind your autonomic dysfunction. I have learned that we cannot know how a drug affects us until we try it! 

@Abeare you having high bp issues? I did look at clonidine to help with my liable bp's but just like most meds i declined the meds that cross the brain barrier. i did at one point even fill a prescription for wellbutrin to stop smoking i could not get myself to take it. I have seen the personality changes while on the drug.

I have been working with a dietitian at UW in Madison she did ferret out type 2 diabetes but with the diet changes my vitals have improved. My GI issues have improved as well.

I am going into allergy this week as well i am sure i have problems with food intolerance. Pretty sure @Pistolwas being treated for chronic inflammatory. IMO being in a inflamed state is damaging (i am living it). Just a another rock to turn over.    

@Pistol, @Sushi, @MikeO@DysautonmiaMatt, Thank you all so much.  Honestly, I just wanted to try something else to see if it will help.  I feel sorry sometimes for the pain my body goes through daily and the share amount of symptoms that I deal with even though I know all of us go through it.  It's just that when I get overwhelmed (as this year has being for the most part), I am blinded to everything else going on around me.  It's amazing what we all deal with.  I am grateful though for this place.  This forum has been my little safe place things get overhead.

I am scared of starting a new medication.  My body over-reacts to everything.  I am even scared to take Tylenol and regular vitamins.  I tried duloxetine few months back and although it helped a little for few weeks with body pain, everything else got worse so I had to stop.  I was prescribed 0.1mg of Clonidine.  Still not sure if I will take it but we'll see.

• 1 year later...
On 10/4/2022 at 9:43 PM, Abe said:

@Pistol, @Sushi

I am scared of starting a new medication.  My body over-reacts to everything.     I was prescribed 0.1mg of Clonidine.  Still not sure if I will take it but we'll see.

This is me to a Tee!!

I just had side effects from low dose Metoprolol,  and just got a prescription for Clonidine.  Very nervous to try it..

Did you ever try the Clonidine, and did it help or how did you react?